• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Gregg RIP

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm sorry to read that Irish international goalkeeping great Harry Gregg has died at the age of 87.

Gregg was my personal favourite of the keepers of the 50's, and I was thrilled to actually see him at St James Park in 1960/61, part of a full strength Man U team for the newly introduced League Cup first leg. We took the lead through Graham Rees, but were eventually got pegged back to 1-1. The attendance was 16,000. We lost at OT in the replay.

Gregg emerged as a true hero during the Munich Air Crash when he repeatedly went back into the wreckage to look for other survivors. He succeeded in saving several others from certain death as flames engulfed the fusilage. A truly great man in more ways than one.

IndoMike

I'm sorry to read that Irish international goalkeeping great Harry Gregg has died at the age of 87.

Gregg was my personal favourite of the keepers of the 50's, and I was thrilled to actually see him at St James Park in 1960/61, part of a full strength Man U team for the newly introduced League Cup first leg. We took the lead through Graham Rees, but were eventually got pegged back to 1-1. The attendance was 16,000. We lost at OT in the replay.

Gregg emerged as a true hero during the Munich Air Crash when he repeatedly went back into the wreckage to look for other survivors. He succeeded in saving several others from certain death as flames engulfed the fusilage. A truly great man in more ways than one.
In the days when footballers were humble and not primadonnas. Great keeper and good bloke from all accounts. And yes, he certainly was very brave in rescuing several injured.

Alistair20000

Joining Pete and Mike in praise of Harry Gregg. A brave man.

RIP

Banksy

RIP Harry , great player , great person.