• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harrogate Town (not Railway Athletic) v Exeter City Build Up Thread

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of the things one learnt from last season and watching on ifollow was there are two teams in Harrogate. One of the few matches we watched where we only had the home commentary as it was an evening kick off and for some reason there was no Radio Devon commentators there, needless to say the match ended 0-0 with Warren Burrell being sent off for the Town. However no ifollow this year as crowds (1800-2000) are back

Harrogate Town are one of only five clubs in the football league we have never beaten with us losing 2-1 at home last season and the aforementioned draw. They currently are lying third after beating Leyton Orient (remember them) 2-0 at Brisbane Road (or The Breyer Group Stadium :sleep:) and along with the Vegans currently have a 100% record in the league winning all three of their matches to date and are lying third in the early table.

In the summer among their signings were three players we are aware of in Rory McArdle Lewis Page who they signed from us and Danilo Orsi-Dadamo who they signed from Maidenhead and was a former team mate of our own Josh Coley, (at the time we speculated about the possibility of us signing him). McArdle has been a regular at the centre of their defence so far this season and Lewis Page has played in a couple of their matches at left back and was substituted last night in the 85th minute. The goal machine that is Danilo Orsi has been on the bench but not played so far this season. Up front they have Luke Armstrong and Alex Pattison who both have three goals a piece this season.

So after last Saturday the scene is set for us to try and grab one of the remaining 100% scalps, our defence is likely to be tested with a duo strike force, yet hopefully our high press and trickery will see us overcome and I predict 3-2 to the Exeter with goals from Jay Brown and Nombe, in front of 1956 the crowds will really turn out for their top of the table challenging side, at least we shall be relatively early on Quest on Saturday

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
One change from last Saturday Grounds for Caprice…the top end of the pitch really clicked against Bristol Rovers so I’d leave it as it is.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Page is fit, the contest between him and Josh Key could be quite something.

hillview red

One change from last Saturday Grounds for Caprice…the top end of the pitch really clicked against Bristol Rovers so I’d leave it as it is.
Not sure Grounds has the legs to play wingback and wouldn’t want to move Hartridge from the left side of the 3 where he has excelled since returning. Caprice had his best game in a City shirt against Rovers. Same team for me until Collins, Coley and Daniel are ready and then there may be a conversation in some areas (emphasis on may)

Oldsmobile-88

A tough trip & not just mileage wise(298 miles from Exeter)
If the Grecians can show the same mettle & spirit as the last away game I’m confident of a result at Wetherby Rd.
I wonder if Nombe will start ? I suspect he will be on the bench.The lineup will not be much different from the starting lineup last Saturday I would imagine.

I remember a unscheduled Grecians visit to Harrogate in 1992.The two coaches going to the last game of the season at Darlington had made good time so it was decided to have a pub stop in Harrogate,where a couple of fine ale houses were visited..Probably the best part of that day !

Avening Posse

I know they’ve started well but we are improving rapidly and am confident we can get a result there. Nice town. When I worked in the UK I used to go to a housing development conference there every year, good pubs

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lovely town, tough game. Harrogate unbeaten yet this season.

1-1 draw. MJ with ours.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Looking forward to my trip up, setting off tomorrow. There is something about the last two games, including Barrow that gives me hope.

GrecianHarry

Squad worked very well on Saturday, wouldn't make any changes unless necessary. Edwards was very good on Tuesday so I would like to see him come on at some point. With Atanaga now out it will between Dodd and Dyer for the spare spot on the bench. I think it will depend on what mentality for the game.

andrew p long

seeing the Headingley Test match on tv reminds me of that great weekend seeing City open in League One away at Leeds, then took in the Headingley Test match on the Sunday...