• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harrogate discussion thread (Postponed to Tuesday 19th Jan)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
All these postponements are seriously disrupting our season. We are unable to build any momentum and will naturally slip down the table, so despite having games in hand we will most likely be in the bottom half.

Covid ruined our season last year, I still seriously believe we would have gone up automatically, and now it appears to be doing the same this season. Seriously fooked off with it all now.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This was Jason's preview

Tuesday night saw an improvement but with City's poor run now extended to one win in their last seven in all competitions, Matt Taylor will be hoping to gain revenge on Saturday, almost exactly a month after a shock home defeat to new boys Harrogate. Pierce Sweeney returned from injury against Bolton, while Lewis Page continued his return to the side with a slightly longer run out than he had last Saturday. With Randell Williams still out Josh Key is likely to continue on the wing with Jake Caprice at right back. Taylor confirmed this week that he had a new signing lined up, only for the transfer to be delayed due to the player contracting Covid - Taylor suggested he wouldn't have been ready for the first team in any case, so it's pretty much as you were for Saturday aside from any changes Taylor may make for rotation purposes, as City look to play an away fixture for the first time since December 5th.

Like City, Harrogate have only played three fixtures since the sides met in mid-December - they were due to play against high-flying Carlisle on Tuesday night but, in a season blighted by postponements due to either Covid or the weather, instead it was a power failure that prevented the match taking place. Those three fixtures have seen Simon Weaver's side win at Oldham but lose at home to Salford and, most recently, away to Cambridge last Saturday. Home form has been a particular concern, with their last home league win taking place in mid-October against fellow newbies Barrow. Jack Muldoon is once again the player to watch, the striker whose goals went a long way to securing their promotion last season has reached double figures this time around.

It was Muldoon who scored the winner on that Tuesday night a month ago in the first ever meeting between the sides. Harrogate led 1-0 at half time through Kiernan. With a rocket up their backside City equalised practically from the kick-off in the second half through Jake Taylor before Muldoon secured a shock win. City will have felt aggrieved at that point having had what looked a certain penalty shout turned down, plus a little unease at some of the tactics employed by the away side, meaning the desire for revenge may be all the sharper.

Boyo

All these postponements are seriously disrupting our season. We are unable to build any momentum and will naturally slip down the table, so despite having games in hand we will most likely be in the bottom half.

Covid ruined our season last year, I still seriously believe we would have gone up automatically, and now it appears to be doing the same this season. Seriously fooked off with it all now.
Covid has certainly compressed the season, but Newport, Barrow and Harrogate were all p-p due to weather, whilst the original Bolton fixture was p-p due to our involvement in the FA Cup.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
By the time these matches are played they will be allowing the fans back in.

OmanGrecian

Harrogate are playing again Friday night so may not be keen.
Should still be possible. It's the same number of days between games if we played on a Saturday and then a Tuesday.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
We’re going to be playing every 2 days at this rate to catch up!

I wonder if it’s psychologically detrimental to the team to ‘fall’ lower down the table as other teams play games?
My thoughts too plus the pressure of possibly finding out after tomorrow’s games have been played that in order to just stand still this becomes another must win game....not good news.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't see autos with the schedule we're now facing and the catch up we'll have to make, points in the bag are always better than games in hand, one plus though it may give our new signing an extra game.
Agreed......although let’s not forget that we have not yet reached the half way point of the season and with the league so tight everything is still very much up for grabs.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fixture re scheduled for next Tuesday 19th at 6:30pm :sneaky:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fixture re scheduled for next Tuesday 19th at 6:30pm :sneaky:
Floodlights/Covid/Frost/Rain/Snow allowing

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
In normal times a load of Grecians would have been cursing because their weekend in Yorkshire was up the Swanee with a postponed game.though it would have saved my sister putting me up & no doubt spending a fortune on food for me 😁(not that I want anything,she naturally has our mothers generosity)