• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GWG Prediction League -- join for just £10

Ian Tarr

The Great Western Grecians (City fans living in Bristol and the surrounding area) have decided to be a bit more dynamic in our support for our beloved club.

One initiative we have decided on is to set up a season long competition, where the proceeds will be split 50:50 between prizes and swelling our funds, which ultimately go to the club. Each year, for example, we sponsor a player shirt (in the coming season we are sponsoring Dan Nardiello’s away shirt). We would, however, like to do more if we can.

The format for the competition, to be known as the GWG Prediction League is based on the hugely successful free-to-enter GNet Prediction League, run by Phil Wakely, which has been running since 1997-98.

A few of us have decided to enter, and no doubt a few more will do so. And now we are opening things up, inviting everyone to enter, no matter where they are based.

If entries number up to 10 (and we are already on 6) there will be just one prize – for the outright winner at the end of the season. If we get between 11 and 20, the prize fund will be split 70:30 between the first and second finishers. And if we get upwards of 20, the split will be 55:30:15 between the top three places.

I have set out the rules below. If you would like to join this, and it’s a lot of fun, as I can testify through entering the GNet League for the past two seasons, what I need from you (please P/M me) is an email address, and £10, for which I will supply GWG bank details (either via email or a P/M).

I will set up an email list for all contestants, and give you an update after every match.

The rules:

The competition is based solely on ECFC first team games, and the competitions covered in the GWG Prediction League this season, are as follows: NPower League 1 (including any Play-off games), League Cup, FA Cup and Johnstones Paint Trophy. Extra time and penalties in cup games DO NOT COUNT.

The format is as follows:
4 points for correctly predicting the result (W/D/L);
2 points for correctly predicting the number of goals scored by ECFC;
2 points for correctly predicting the number of goals conceded by ECFC;
Between 1 and 4 points for each correctly nominated Exeter City goal scorer. This sliding scale starts at 1 point for a striker who you would expect to score, and increases to 4 points for keepers. “Own Goal” can also be nominated. Here is a full list of the squad and points available. This will be updated as and when any new signings materialise:
None (i.e. ‘ECFC nil’) 1
Own Goal 3
Artur Krysiak (Goalkeeper) 4
Lenny Pidgeley (Goalkeeper) 4
Steve Tully (Defender) 3
Billy Jones (Defender) 3
Troy Archibald-Henville (Defender) 3
Richard Duffy (Defender) 3
Scott Golbourne (Defender) 3
Danny Coles (Defender) 3
Scot Bennett (Defender) 3
Jack Furzer (Defender) 3
Kallum Keane (Defender) 3
James Dunne (Midfielder) 2
Liam Sercombe (Midfielder) 2
David Noble (Midfielder) 2
Chris Shephard (Midfielder) 2
Elliott Frear (Midfielder) 2
Aaron Dawson (Midfielder) 2
Callum McNish (Midfielder) 2
Jake Gosling (Midfielder) 2
Roger Ingham (Midfielder) 2
Tom Nichols (Striker) 1
Daniel Nardiello (Striker) 1
John O'Flynn (Striker) 1
Richard Logan (Striker) 1
Guillem Bauza (Striker) 1
Nicholas Bignall (Striker) 1
1 extra point will be awarded for correctly predicting “ECFC nil”.

HOWEVER, a reminder of the rule that penalty points will also be awarded....
......In the past a number of entrants have been predicting sizeable scores for ECFC so as to hopefully take advantage of the individual goal scorer points (e.g. 9-0 victory to ECFC with nine different goal scorers identified). As a result, if the predicted ECFC score is four or more higher than the actual score, then a penalty of ‘the difference between the predicted score and the actual score’ will be applied....For example, if 7-0 is predicted and the actual score is 3-0, then a penalty of -4 will be applied to that entry. If the actual score is 4-0, then there would be no penalty.

Example prediction:
Bournemouth 1 Exeter City (Nardiello, Logan) 2
Example result:
Bournemouth 0 Exeter City (Logan, O'Flynn) 2
You would have scored points as follows:
4 points for correctly predicting the result (win forecast & a win it was)
2 points for correctly predicting that City would score 2 goals
0 points for predicting that Bournemouth would score 1 goal
1 point for correctly nominating Richard Logan as a Grecians goal scorer
Total: 7 points.
It's as easy as that. Likewise, if Bournemouth had won the fixture 2-0 (for example) you would have scored zero points!

Please send your predictions to: [email protected], which should always be sent (at the latest) ONE HOUR PRIOR to the time of the advertised kick-off; or to me, Ian Tarr, via P/M. The league table will be updated after every Exeter City fixture & a reminder is posted to the members mailing list (together with my own prediction, so you can tell I'm not cheating!) a day or two before each game. Alternatively text me on 07940 284652 in the same timescale.

When nominating a City goal scorer, a name must be given (i.e. Nardiello, Tully, Archibald-Henville etc.).

Please feel free to send in predictions in advance, for when you are going away on holiday, or will be without computer access for a period of time. In the past, a number of people have submitted a “season’s worth” of predictions at the beginning of the season or have entered a “standing order” (the same prediction for every game, or a slight variation depending on whether the game is at home or away). These are welcome. If you enter a “season’s worth”, it is likely that there will be additional games to consider during the season (e.g. Cup games). FOR THESE ADDITIONAL GAMES, YOU WILL BE PERMITTED TO SUBMIT FURTHER PREDICTIONS. You are always permitted to change your prediction, provided the change is notified within the required timescale.