• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grimes on FA.com

ECFCNo1

Nice little article on the FA.com including an interview with Matt Grimes about our current form.

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2014/sep/matt-grimes-believes-exeter-can-go-blow-to-blow-with-best-of-league-two-290914

I see it mentions the next U20's game is on 9th October in Holland against Germany. Is say there is more of a possibility with this game of being without Grimes or Pym for the visit of Hartlepool of they get picked again.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Aye, if selected they'll both probably miss the game with Coventry in the JPT as well.

"England U20s will continue their campaign next week by taking on Germany, Turkey and the Netherlands in a four nation tournament in Heerenveen

Aidy Boothroyd’s side play three games in five days in the tournament during October.

They start off against Germany, who won last season’s UEFA U19 Championship title, on Thursday 9 October at the Sportpark Skoatterwald

It is then host nation Holland on Saturday 11 October at the same venue, before England finish their fixtures against Turkey on Monday 13 October".

If selected I'd let them both go. We'll just have to make do for a couple of games. It could be good practice for when/if one of them leaves in January.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Aye, if selected they'll both probably miss the game with Coventry in the JPT as well.

"England U20s will continue their campaign next week by taking on Germany, Turkey and the Netherlands in a four nation tournament in Heerenveen

Aidy Boothroyd’s side play three games in five days in the tournament during October.

They start off against Germany, who won last season’s UEFA U19 Championship title, on Thursday 9 October at the Sportpark Skoatterwald

It is then host nation Holland on Saturday 11 October at the same venue, before England finish their fixtures against Turkey on Monday 13 October".

If selected I'd let them both go. We'll just have to make do for a couple of games. It could be good practice for when/if one of them leaves in January.
http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2014/sep/u20s-set-for-dutch-tournament-test-290914 ^Linky thing^

Last edited:

Rog H K

Putting them in the shop window.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
can't be long before the squad is announced as the tournament is next week...

Real dilemma for us about releasing them...if only the FA would pay the loan fee for Artur Krysiak and Ryan Harley to play the games when Pym and Grimes are away...

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
A real dilemma. I wouldn't want to stop them getting more international experience but at the very least we would need a keeper on loan even if Hamon was going to start IMO. We need to keep the home results coming to build on the Bury game.

Also what if they decided to pick Moore-Taylor as well which I think would have been a possibility if he hadn't been injured? We would then get to rearrange the home game but they wouldn't be good as we then wouldn't have a home Saturday until Nov 1st.

andrew p long

Also what if they decided to pick Moore-Taylor as well which I think would have been a possibility if he hadn't been injured? We would then get to rearrange the home game but they wouldn't be good as we then wouldn't have a home Saturday until Nov 1st.
I read this too re JMT,but isn't he a year older than the other two?

WXF

What is it worth to a league two club for two of its home grown players to play for England under 20? What does each cap the players earn do to their transfer value? In pure crude financial terms alone we must surely hope they are picked and played. It also reflects very well on the club, its youth set up and, given its long term support to the youth set up, the Trust. For the two hard working players it must something of a dream come true.

Last edited:

malcolms

What is it worth to a league two club for two of its home grown players to play for England under 20? What does each cap the players earn do to their transfer value? In pure crude financial terms alone we must surely hope they are picked and played. It also reflects very well on the club, its youth set up and, given its long term support to the youth set up, the Trust. For the two hard working players it must something of a dream come true.
There are 100 players who played for England at under 20 and went on to do and be nothing, so you need to be careful not to get carried away.

This is the squad from 2009....I'm not sure I recognise many..but I could be wrong.......

1 GK Jason Steele 18 August 1990 (aged 19) England Middlesbrough
2 DF Kieran Trippier 19 September 1990 (aged 19) England Manchester City
3 DF Jordan Parkes 26 July 1989 (aged 20) England Watford
4 MF Adam Clayton 14 January 1989 (aged 20) England Manchester City
5 DF Martin Kelly 27 April 1990 (aged 19) England Liverpool
6 DF Ben Mee 3 November 1989 (aged 19) England Manchester City
7 FW Febian Brandy 4 February 1989 (aged 20) England Manchester United
8 MF Josh Walker (c) 21 February 1989 (aged 20) England Middlesbrough
9 FW Alex Nimely-Tchuimeni 5 November 1991 (aged 17) England Manchester City
10 MF Michael Woods 6 April 1990 (aged 19) England Chelsea
11 MF Paul Marshall 9 July 1989 (aged 20) England Manchester City
12 MF Matty James 22 July 1991 (aged 18) England Manchester United
13 GK Mark Oxley 2 June 1990 (aged 19) England Hull City
14 DF Matthew Briggs 9 March 1991 (aged 18) England Fulham
15 DF Gavin Hoyte 6 June 1990 (aged 19) England Arsenal
16 DF Nana Ofori-Twumasi 15 May 1990 (aged 19) England Chelsea
17 FW Jon Obika (on loan to Yeovil Town) 12 September 1990 (aged 19) England Tottenham Hotspur
18 FW Sam Baldock 15 March 1989 (aged 20) England Milton Keynes Dons
19 MF Gary Gardner 29 June 1992 (aged 17) England Aston Villa
20 MF Andrew Tutte 21 September 1990 (aged 19) England Manchester City

Michael Woods is playing for Hartlepool as a for instance....

StroudGrecian

Adam Clayton's had a fairly successful career...:)