• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grand National

Legohead

Banned
Mine fell at the first. :D

Although i appreciate it's not funny for the horse and jockey. Nor me either.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oops. Thank God I didn't bet...
Well actually you did. I put some plastic in the wall and cash came out.

Looking forward to your check (sic). :D

Alistair20000

Mine fell at the first. :D

Although i appreciate it's not funny for the horse and jockey. Nor me either.
Unlucky as he was brought down by another faller.

Bad day for this particular punter but SWMBO had the winner and runner up.

IndoMike

Well actually you did. I put some plastic in the wall and cash came out.

Looking forward to your check (sic). :D
Don't tell me that on my behalf you put on a half a million quiddos each way on my donkey ?:eek::$(swear)(tmi)B-)

Alistair20000

Don't tell me that on my behalf you put on a half a million quiddos each way on my donkey ?:eek::$(swear)(tmi)B-)
Only £2.50 each way Indo. Had it come in the winnings were going into the drink kitty for your possible May sojourn in Blighty.

IndoMike

Only £2.50 each way Indo. Had it come in the winnings were going into the drink kitty for your possible May sojourn in Blighty.
Looks like I better make up the loss.

Terryhall

Put on my traditional EW bet on the national using the same system I have since I was very small, namely picking a name that "speaks to me" based on stuff that happened in the run up. (This worked out very well with Party Politics back in the day; less successful since). Given that on the Wednesday, I was in a conversation with someone who said "Two weeks..." in a very odd voice, of course I plumped for Total Recall (at that time was 13/1). Imagine my surprise/disappointment to then find out said horse was the favourite; and my total lack of surprise to find it nowhere close to the places.

Alistair2000 makes a great point.

We want the whole field, both horses and jockeys to come back safe after the race.
I didn't see which horse it was but obviously the whole field was diverted & I'm sure we all saw the screen up at Beechers Brook for the 2nd lap - anyone know if the horse survived? All I can find are vague statements about further assessments in the stables, which could be completely benign or very sinister depending on how you read them.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
My horse has just finished.

Alistair20000

I didn't see which horse it was but obviously the whole field was diverted & I'm sure we all saw the screen up at Beechers Brook for the 2nd lap - anyone know if the horse survived? All I can find are vague statements about further assessments in the stables, which could be completely benign or very sinister depending on how you read them.
It was not a horse. The screens were up as a jockey Charlie Deutsch was receiving medical attention on the landing side after a fall on the first circuit. He was O.K. as were all the other jockeys. The only horse reported to have been injured was Aintree veteran Saint Are who was brought down by another faller and then fell while galloping loose. Happily after a night in the racecourse stables he was able to go home but connections have very sensibly decided to retire him.

A lot of the usual suspects made themselves look very stupid with posts on the Book of Face and Tweets calling for the race to be banned after seeing the screens up and leaping to the conclusion they were to hide a dead horse.

Terryhall

Thanks for the update Al - I jumped to the same conclusion but glad I was wrong!