• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goodbye Randell Williams

Let’s hope he recalls his performance against the green lot,when argyle rock up to Bolton on Saturday,a winner followed by a somersault would suffice 😀

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
He will Probably dive bomb at Bolton aswell…he was never Championship standard and he will struggle to get in a top half L1 team. Saying that I would have had him back at City!
If I'm not mistaken you would have also had Joel Randall back, Nicky Law back, George Ray back and Alfie Pond back. Given that at least two of these couldn't wait to get away from Exeter, one is nearing retirement and one is proven to be very limited, why are you so desperate to cling on to past players rather than feel excited about finding new ones?

STURTZ

I feel there was also something going on off the pitch.

Hull had been interested in him from early in the season and I feel that he knew if he ran his contract down it would be good for the terms offered by Hull at season's end.
The way Hull announced his signing when he did go to them heavily implied they had been chasing his signature and had finally 'got their man'.

So, tacitly, Randell knew he was set up for a move and stepped his performances back according - also ensuring an injury free end to the season.
Yeah, that thought had occurred to me as well, did we turn down an offer for him at the end of his first season?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jevani-lite

i8cornwall

Be surprised if he starts for Whites, sounds like he is coming in to play a wing back type of role.

Odd one if I'm honest, decent to have on the bench and bring on. Wanderers style of play probably suites him as well.

Spoke highly of City and Matt Taylor in his first interview at Whites as well.

andrew p long

Be surprised if he starts for Whites, sounds like he is coming in to play a wing back type of role.

Odd one if I'm honest, decent to have on the bench and bring on. Wanderers style of play probably suites him as well.

Spoke highly of City and Matt Taylor in his first interview at Whites as well.
In modern football, especially with 5 subs, having Randell on the bench could be a real boon to a team like Bolton. Losing or drawing against a bottom 8 side, to bring him (and others) on against a tiring defence on or after the 60 minute mark might be just what does the trick. And nowadays clubs like Bolton will want squads of 22 players good enough to be first choice - allow 4 to be out injured at any one time that still gives a starting 11 and the important 7 subs (or should that be 'finishers')

Seems that Evatt/Bolton have tracked Randell for a while and were in for him when he went to Hull. I wonder how much scoring against them in the game that could have clinched their promotion helped put him on their radar!

Red Devon

In modern football, especially with 5 subs, having Randell on the bench could be a real boon to a team like Bolton. Losing or drawing against a bottom 8 side, to bring him (and others) on against a tiring defence on or after the 60 minute mark might be just what does the trick. And nowadays clubs like Bolton will want squads of 22 players good enough to be first choice - allow 4 to be out injured at any one time that still gives a starting 11 and the important 7 subs (or should that be 'finishers')

Seems that Evatt/Bolton have tracked Randell for a while and were in for him when he went to Hull. I wonder how much scoring against them in the game that could have clinched their promotion helped put him on their radar!
Aren’t we missing that type of player from the bench too, Stanno being the only one who can come on and change a game in our favour if Sam starts.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Aren’t we missing that type of player from the bench too, Stanno being the only one who can come on and change a game in our favour if Sam starts.
Comes down to budget, we don't have the luxury of being able to afford to have game changers sat on the bench. Also, if someone is particularly good I doubt they'd want to sign for ECFC to sit on the bench and come on for 20 mins.

andrew p long

Absolutely. Our. biggest problem is not the starting 11, which is good enough to be middle/top half League One, but the depth. This (at the risk of stating the obvious) hits us in two ways - not enough game changers on the bench and not enough cover for injuries when eg both Diabate and Stubbs are out injured.

Having said that, I was cheered at Oxford to see the subs warming up at half time, with Stanno, Dieng and MJ being the best set of attacking subs that we had had available all season.

jimbo-gould

He was great in his first full season as a RWB for us when he had loads of space in front of him to flourish. The problem was he got injured before the next season started and we played a back four where Josh Key was the star in the RB role.