• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goodbye Randell Williams

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The thing is he was a player which would make you stand up if he got the ball at his feet. Only Joel who really has that now. Need a great replacement. Was great to watch on his day.
I’m hoping young Nelson can break into the first team and provide that excitement next season.

Pobbop

Wish him luck, but on the evidence of last season, not that bothered, if he'd been at 80% of his first season, reckon we'd be in division 3 now.

Hopefully frees up a big wage, along with Parkes, Taylor, and Ollies war-chest we should be offering more money for 4 or 5 quality players than almost any team in the division, and perhaps many in Division 3.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed, it’s easy to forget how good he was for in the previous season when he was one of, if not, the best wide players in the division. I also think there were also more good moments last season than most people give him credit for.

While a lot of people seem to think he looked uninterested I don’t think we should under-estimate the effects of living away from friends and family during these restricted times. Randell has never hidden the fact that he misses living in London, and that can only have been made worse over the last ye ar.
But millions of people were separated from their loved ones over the last 12 months.

IndoMike

Plus Ajose and Fisher's wages ..And Ward's and Maxted's.

Pobbop

I’m hoping young Nelson can break into the first team and provide that excitement next season.
Will be interesting to see how pre-season goes, I mean Matt said he was closest to the first team, that type of quick direct player, can definitely be someone to use from the bench, which let's face it last season we didn't have enough attacking options from.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Good luck Randell, appreciate the two goals and the celebrations against Argyle!

Shame we never got a fee for him, though his performance this season wouldn't have warranted one.

dommers

But millions of people were separated from their loved ones over the last 12 months.
And no doubt millions have struggled.

elginCity

And no doubt millions have struggled.
Leaving aside the Covid factor, for a young born n bred Londoner, Devon must be another planet. Once recall seeing TAH wandering around Princesshay alone, looking bored to tears !

Good luck, Randell.

Boyo

There are rumours that a number of Championship clubs are interested. It’s another good news story for the club. He’s spent a few years here and he’s going into bigger and better things. That only makes us more appealing to ambitious youngsters. His performance against argyle was a superb. He destroyed their full back. His somersault really rubbed their noses in it. Thanks Randell and all the best.

grecIAN Harris

One of the most frustrating players to play for City. He has the attributes to be a very good player but I wonder whether he has the mentality and understanding to get there (I expect Watford did also which is why we got him on the deal we had). If he is to play where he wants on the right then must do something about that right foot of his otherwise, especially when he comes up against smarter defenders, they will just stand on his left foot and he will be rendered ineffective much as he was prior to his injury last season and in the Northampton game. He could also do with improving his movement which will open up his game for him. Compare him to Joel in this regard and Joel is lightyears ahead of him and all for something that isn't massively clever but so, so effective in the simplicity of either looking short or moving into space in behind. How often did you ever see Randell look to make a run in behind the full back? I expect you could find more hen's teeth than examples of this.
These small pennies need to drop very quickly if he is to use his ability to its potential or he will end up like Joel Grant, as an example, exciting reputation, has his moments but rarely lives up to the hype.