• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goal keeper required (Jökull Andrésson signs!)for Morecambe and back for Exeter! Signs for Stevenage

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
The goalkeeper is never your star player, certainly not at our level. You just need somebody competent at being a goalkeeper. Exeter City are pretty average. Who do you think we are signing then?! Andresson keeping clean sheets didn’t really make any difference at the end. Our failings were elsewhere as highlighted by the Manager, physicality and taking chances in messy games amongst others.
You just cant stop yourself getting a dig in on Matt Taylor can you. As far as I'm concerned you can fekkin troll off.

ExmouthMart

You just cant stop yourself getting a dig in on Matt Taylor can you. As far as I'm concerned you can fekkin troll off.
Why’s that a dig at Taylor?! That’s what he said….. who are you anyway?! Very obnoxious comments.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
...I still think he told Ward he wasn’t going to feature anymore and would be better off going...
I can only suggest you read this, it states that it was Ward that initiated the move.

Manager Matt Taylor said: "We wish Lewis all the best. He has been really unlucky because the last two season's have panned out the same for him - he starts the season performing really well and then picks up a serious injury.

"Lewis felt he needed an opportunity somewhere else, and when a team like Portsmouth comes knocking, it suggests it's a great opportunity and one he wanted to pursue."

✍ Lewis Ward joins Portsmouth on loan - News - Exeter City FC

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The goalkeeper is never your star player, certainly not at our level. You just need somebody competent at being a goalkeeper. Exeter City are pretty average. Who do you think we are signing then?! Andresson keeping clean sheets didn’t really make any difference at the end. Our failings were elsewhere as highlighted by the Manager, physicality and taking chances in messy games amongst others.
Our failings elsewhere on the pitch are pretty irrelevant to a thread which is about our keepers!! I think our discussion must conclude if you really do think Jokull (or in fact any keeper) keeping clean sheets doesn't make any difference. You may get more kudos if you just make it clear exactly what is your beef with the club and/or the manager and just get it out of your system?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bad day in the workshop Geoff ??

ExmouthMart

Our failings elsewhere on the pitch are pretty irrelevant to a thread which is about our keepers!! I think our discussion must conclude if you really do think Jokull (or in fact any keeper) keeping clean sheets doesn't make any difference. You may get more kudos if you just make it clear exactly what is your beef with the club and/or the manager and just get it out of your system?
It was in the context of at the time did we need a goalkeeper, when maybe we needed a striker. All irrelevant now as Andresson has come and gone. Maxted and Ward gone as well.

geoffwp

Bad day in the workshop Geoff ??
Good day actual PC, until I read EmouthTroll.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
You only have to look at how we were leaking goals before we signed Iceman to realise that having two ordinary keepers was holding us back.It was the missing piece in our defence that was there from the pre-season friendlies. It's unfortunate that we stopped scoring goals regularly as soon as we resolved that problem.

A quality goalkeeper is important. It gives the players in front the confidence to go forward, but you need the right options going forward to make the most of that.

grecIAN Harris

You only have to look at how we were leaking goals before we signed Iceman to realise that having two ordinary keepers was holding us back.It was the missing piece in our defence that was there from the pre-season friendlies. It's unfortunate that we stopped scoring goals regularly as soon as we resolved that problem.

A quality goalkeeper is important. It gives the players in front the confidence to go forward, but you need the right options going forward to make the most of that.
I think you might need to cast your gaze a little further forward than that. We were making basic errors in front of the keepers that were costing us goals. Maxted is an average keeper but Ward is a decent keeper at our level. It doesn't matter who is in goal if our defenders make stupid errors. They've since got a grip of themselves, the improvement in Hartridge has been very noticeable and the improvement in consistancy from McArdle didn't go unnoticed either and that is the subsequent reason why we have looked far more solid at the back.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think you might need to cast your gaze a little further forward than that. We were making basic errors in front of the keepers that were costing us goals. Maxted is an average keeper but Ward is a decent keeper at our level. It doesn't matter who is in goal if our defenders make stupid errors. They've since got a grip of themselves, the improvement in Hartridge has been very noticeable and the improvement in consistancy from McArdle didn't go unnoticed either and that is the subsequent reason why we have looked far more solid at the back.
It shows how much involvement a keeper has in terms of communication and and organising that the mistakes started to reduce without Ward and Maxted and when they did happen,there was someone more competent to cover up those errors.