• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Giro d’Italia

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rolls out of Sicily today.

Stage 1: A 15.1km time trial Monreale - Palemero

Plenty of British interest in this years race with Geriant Thomas (Ineos) and Simon Yates (Michelin Scott) both expected to be near the top of GC along with Steven Kruijswijk (Jumbo Visma)

Live on Eurosport with highlights every evening.

Rosencrantz

Rolls out of Sicily today.

Stage 1: A 15.1km time trial Monreale - Palemero

Plenty of British interest in this years race with Geriant Thomas (Ineos) and Simon Yates (Michelin Scott) both expected to be near the top of GC along with Steven Kruijswijk (Jumbo Visma)

Live on Eurosport with highlights every evening.
Also have highlights on Quest every evening at 7pm. The weather normally plays a part in the Giro and the move to October will probably add to that. Whilst the Tour has the glamour and reputation, the Giro is the tough one.

Red Devon

Also have highlights on Quest every evening at 7pm. The weather normally plays a part in the Giro and the move to October will probably add to that. Whilst the Tour has the glamour and reputation, the Giro is the tough one.
Thanks for heads up I’m not a great fan of Eurosport, already seen some pics on twitter of snow on the mountains.

Rosencrantz

Thanks for heads up I’m not a great fan of Eurosport, already seen some pics on twitter of snow on the mountains.
It turned out to be Eurosport's highlights on Quest anyway 🙄. Much prefer C4 with Gary Imlach, Chris Boardman and David Millar.

Anyway, good first stage for G and Simon Yates. The other GC contenders didn't have very good rides. Awful looking crash for Miguel Angel Lopez.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
It turned out to be Eurosport's highlights on Quest anyway 🙄. Much prefer C4 with Gary Imlach, Chris Boardman and David Millar.
I tend to agree. I have to admit that I wouldn't want to listen to Brian Smith's voice for long. Quite like the Ned Boulting/David Millar pairing.

Red Devon

I tend to agree. I have to admit that I wouldn't want to listen to Brian Smith's voice for long. Quite like the Ned Boulting/David Millar pairing.
Can anyone remember David Duffield he was the TDF commentator when I first got into cycling back in the 90s when the tour was only on Eurosport, Found him very entertaining and knowledgable although he did ramble on a bit...I still miss Phil Leggett commentating on ITV though I always classed him as the Murray Walker of cycling for his enthusiasm and passion to the sport.

Last edited:

Red Devon

Managed to catch the last hour of today’s stage won by Diego Ulissa of Team UAE who out sprinted Peter Sagan in the final 50 metres or so...tv coverage not too bad on Eurosport, the Italian tourism board certainly got there money’s worth today...with some absolutely stunning scenery to be seen it has to be said.

Rosencrantz

Missed the end and instead caught the end of the Liege-Bastogne-Liege. Bizarre finish with Alaphilippe celebrating the win only for Roglic to nip it on the line. Pretty gutting and embarrassing for Alaphilippe. Lizzie Deignan won the women's race I see.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Geraint Thomas out of the Giro with a hip fracture after a crash caused by a water bottle. It's about time riders were made to hand empties to the support car when collecting new ones. I remember once during the Tour of Britain the helicopter camera showed something splashing into the Exe from Cowley Bridge as the peloton crossed over.

Rosencrantz

Geraint Thomas out of the Giro with a hip fracture after a crash caused by a water bottle. It's about time riders were made to hand empties to the support car when collecting new ones. I remember once during the Tour of Britain the helicopter camera showed something splashing into the Exe from Cowley Bridge as the peloton crossed over.
It's always a bit scary when they do that but I have seen a report that they weren't being discarded but had been dropped or shaken loose from their holders as the road was cobbled. From this vid though the road looks quite smooth although you can see three or four bidons rolling across the road. I know they weren't going flat out but that was still some speed they were doing when G came down. Scary but dreadfully unlucky, nothing he could do really.