• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The sexual assault charges were dropped a few years ago.
That's not the case. Charges are only made when a trial is to be held. The lawyers for the rape victim has asked that the investigation be restarted, and this could mean that Sweden will ask for extradition. The Swedes were not told of the impending arrest of Assange, unlike Ecuador and the USA.

Last edited:

Terryhall

You don't, of course, need a trade deal to trade.

Switzerland isn't part of the Customs Union.

We couldn't "recruit to need" under EU freedom of movement rules - we could have curtailed it slightly but thanks to Tony Blair we chose not to, but "recruit to need" is not possible. We can only boot people out under EU rules should they become a burden on the state.
Apologies, we are in the single market, but not the cu, you are correct.

My point still stands - Switzerland has trade deals all over the world and its agreements with the EU do not prevent it from doing so.

Switzerland also has a (really quite draconian) immigration policy and its agreements with the EU (including all 4 freedoms and membership of Schengen) do not prevent it from doing so.

I'm not suggesting the UK should remain, that ship has sailed. I'm suggesting that all the red lines and the purported reasons for them are perhaps less clear cut than is made out.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not suggesting the UK should remain, that ship has sailed.
I don't think it has. All this talk of compromise fails to recognise the obvious point that a soft Brexit (i.e. a "fewer red lines" compromise) is a waste of time. Both Leave and Remain can say "why are we bothering". It's why Norway has got the Norway model after all - they had a referendum which delivered a similar result to ours (albeit with a much higher turnout) and they felt obliged to act on it. The Norwegian government aren't recommending this model to anyone

The intellectually coherent alternative is Jason's hard Brexit (no CU, no access to the single market) which would make the country significantly poorer, despite the "nimble" trade deals we'll be able to strike with those benign super powers, the US and China.

So any MP who is serious about having the best interests of the country at heart should be supporting any amendment that ensures a third referendum is held

Oldsmobile-88

The sexual assault charges were dropped a few years ago.

The investigation into the alleged rape can be reopened at any time in Sweden before the limitation expires in August 2020.

The complainant can request the investigation be resumed,as she has via her lawyer.

Alistair20000

I don't think it has. All this talk of compromise fails to recognise the obvious point that a soft Brexit (i.e. a "fewer red lines" compromise) is a waste of time. Both Leave and Remain can say "why are we bothering". It's why Norway has got the Norway model after all - they had a referendum which delivered a similar result to ours (albeit with a much higher turnout) and they felt obliged to act on it. The Norwegian government aren't recommending this model to anyone

The intellectually coherent alternative is Jason's hard Brexit (no CU, no access to the single market) which would (or might) make the country significantly poorer, despite the "nimble" trade deals we'll be able to strike with those benign super powers, the US and China.

So any MP who is serious about having the best interests of the country at heart should be supporting any amendment that ensures a third referendum is held
Spot on Art as regards the first highlighted bit.

Second highlighted bit is to make the point that your observation on this issue is not universally shared

BTW: could you remind of the result of the second referendum before we face up the horrors of a third ?

IndoMike

He's been living in a furnished apartment in Knightsbridge. It's not exactly Wormwood Scrubbs.
My understanding is that his room was small and pretty basic and deprived of sunlight. Natural light is very important for health and psychological reasons. Not being able to go out and stretch his legs in the park is a kind of deprivation, too. Yes the embassy is just behind Harrods, but that doesn't mean anything, I don't particularly like him and he can't be surprised that he has ended up like this : I'm just basing my comments on the fact that his living conditions must have affected his health and mind, especially the fear of extradition to the US, which is why he asked for asylum in the first place.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Apologies, we are in the single market, but not the cu, you are correct.

My point still stands - Switzerland has trade deals all over the world and its agreements with the EU do not prevent it from doing so.

Switzerland also has a (really quite draconian) immigration policy and its agreements with the EU (including all 4 freedoms and membership of Schengen) do not prevent it from doing so.

I'm not suggesting the UK should remain, that ship has sailed. I'm suggesting that all the red lines and the purported reasons for them are perhaps less clear cut than is made out.
Except the point doesn't stand - it's precisely because Switzerland isn't in the CU that they can do trade deals.

Switzerland and the EU are at loggerheads (or were last time I checked) because Switzerland voted to curtail freedom of movement.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

The intellectually coherent alternative is Jason's hard Brexit (no CU, no access to the single market) which would make the country significantly poorer, despite the "nimble" trade deals we'll be able to strike with those benign super powers, the US and China.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps going on about the UK doing trade deals with the US and China as a somewhat mocking point. We trade enough with them anyway not to worry about a particular trade agreement with them (which would be unlikely to be to our benefit).

As I've oft stated, we have plenty of opportunity to do deals that would be of more mutual benefit e.g. CANZUK, Commonwealth states etc.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Assange is an interesting story.

Some commentators suggest that he might be best accepting the charges in Sweden and returning there, as he would then need to be dragged through the Swedish, UK and ECJ before any extradition to the US could happen.

Irrespective of all this, he has avoided the allegations in Sweden (and thus any charge) by holing up in the Ecuadorian embassy, and should face those. You then have the questions over his total lack of leaks about Russia, China etc and the meeting with Farage.

This is about far more than the US cover up. (and no, I'm not for a minute suggesting atrocities committed by US and allied forces is ok)

Last edited:

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
As I've oft stated, we have plenty of opportunity to do deals that would be of more mutual benefit e.g. CANZUK, Commonwealth states etc.
Can't agree with that. Most of those countries have axes to grind, and aren't exactly in love with all things UK. Look at how India operates in negotiations and how long they take. In fact, they are more likely to strike a deal with the EU now that the UK's objections to sky high whisky tariffs and a more liberal visa policy are more or less removed from the equation.

And please don't suggest that deals with Can, Aus, NZ etc will provide more opportunity and return than those already in place with the EU. That's without even going down the road of what will be lost with many smaller economies that will lose FTA access to the UK through their EBA (no tariffs or quotas) agreements with the EU (which aren't ready to be rolled over in the event of a hard Brexit/no deal).

Status
Not open for further replies.