• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Geoffers. I am compelled to suggest that your apparent intolerance to tolerance might be considered somewhat intolerant. ;)

Red & White

Fair play for you to marry someone not of this country and stay there for whatever reason but how many times do you read or hear of people who get married bring their partner here only for that person to vanish / divorce not long after gaining a passport and go on to bring their real entire family into this country because they now are entitled to do so.

Are you getting your subject of immigration, and Brexit slightly confused?

A EU citizen can move to the UK without requirement of having a VISA. A non EU citizen can marry and move to the UK, subject to EU citizenship, Brexit will not affect the latter. Surely moving the family to the UK would be subject to the non EU ruling. I think you will find that EU migrants bring a lot more to the UK economy than they take.

I would say that EU migrants are less likely to claim for state handouts, benefits, than UK person's claim. Having derived from EU immigration I can state that my family has, personally, never claimed, UK benefits, and survived on what it can earn. Immigration, by and large, contributes more to the economy more than it takes.

Don't start with, a complete tangent, 'they have take our job's' as the immigrants tend to take the low paid s**t jobs that the UK nationals don't want to take as UK nationals see it as being below their pay grade (watch BBC spotlight, they did a review where unemployed British person's undertook cabbage picking at the national minimum wage) and the consensus was they would not do the job!

EU immigration brings more to the EU economy than it takes. I'd rather be part of a members club that could change, rather, than being outside the club shouting about inequalities, and helping to improve the lives of a larger EU collective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red & White

My wife recently spent a week or so in hospital. As far as I could tell, all of the other patients were British born people of various ages. However, a lot, I mean 80% or so, of the nurses, HCAs, doctors, surgeons etc were foreign-born and in the vast main, doing an excellent job. This was in Somerset, not in a metropolitan area.

Make of that what you will in terms of the balance between giving and taking for the Health Service and immigration.
EU or non EU?

geoffwp

Geoffers. I am compelled to suggest that your apparent intolerance to tolerance might be considered somewhat intolerant. ;)
You'd be absolutely correct if year 11 btec was the focus G2K. :)

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
You'd be absolutely correct if year 11 btec was the focus G2K. :)
11 btec? IS that what Dan Hannan was referring to when he was talking about getting a 1 1?

EU or non EU?
Mainly EU I would say. Poles, Romanians and so on.

iscalad

All getting a bit feisty in the Commons.

IndoMike

IndoMike

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Not following Jason.

How is leaving the EU, in any way, going to change this?

The fact that the jungle existed in Calais proves my point.
I never said it would change this. I was merely challenging the (ultimately correct) assertion that illegal immigration in this country isn't from EU countries by counter-stating that much/most of it comes *through* the EU thanks mainly to Schengen. The Jungle backs this up entirely, for example.

There has always been this conflation (perhaps made deliberately by Ultra Remainers) that the immigration issue around the referendum circled around illegal immigration and not letting all those nasty brown people in. In fairness, this could have been borne out of the ridiculous Leave.eu poster (which in itself was only preaching to the converted and probably actually lost Leave a couple of percent). For most it wasn't this at all, rather "control of our borders" meaning we get to pick and choose who we let in.*

*Yes, yes, I know we could have done this at the outset to a certain extent, but thanks to Tony Blair saying nobody will bother coming when the EU expanded we didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.