• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
What's wrong with being tolerant?
I questioned this as well (albeit more sarcastically). I suspect he's chosen the wrong word if he doesn't want to be "branded as some sort of right wing nutjob".

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
This has been the worst part of the Brexit debate, Disinformation on both sides and people reading things that are written for one particular side or the other, ie illegal immigration and it becomes fact without the real facts being shown like illegal immigration is people coming from OUTSIDE the EU, So Brexit won't stop that but that doesn't stop people peddling this

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
This has been the worst part of the Brexit debate, Disinformation on both sides and people reading things that are written for one particular side or the other, ie illegal immigration and it becomes fact without the real facts being shown like illegal immigration is people coming from OUTSIDE the EU, So Brexit won't stop that but that doesn't stop people peddling this
The flip side of that is that much illegal immigration into the UK is coming *through* the EU rather than *from* it.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
The flip side of that is that much illegal immigration into the UK is coming *through* the EU rather than *from* it.
How? We're not part of Schengen. Without passports or ID they can't get in.

Don't see the logic.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
How? We're not part of Schengen. Without passports or ID they can't get in.

Don't see the logic.
Yes, everyone gets into the country by showing their passport at the border.

DB9

But it still doesn't mean just because we're in the EU that is causing illegal immigration, I think people have it in their minds the immigrants coming from Eastern Europe etc are illegal when that is not the case, So in theory once we leave that will vastly reduce but immigrants from outside of the EU will still try their luck

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Yes, everyone gets into the country by showing their passport at the border.
Not following Jason.

How is leaving the EU, in any way, going to change this?

The fact that the jungle existed in Calais proves my point.

Grecian2K

Welcome to the jungle!
Ah. The good old "Burghers of Calais"...although that particular battle pre-dated both Guns and the war of the Roses.

If my memory of history serves we correctly (nod here to my old history teacher, Doctor Dave (y) ) that occurred in the Hundred Years War …. so, a bit like Brexit is could become then. ;)

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Which doesn't change whether we're in or out. Unless you're suggesting we're going to take a far more active role in policing the channel, since the French certainly won't bother now.

geoffwp

What's wrong with being tolerant?
Ramone didn't say there was anything wrong with it, he said he begrudges being told that he should be. There is a very big difference in that. I happen to agree with him. People who feel they have the right to tell others how they should feel about an issue. Sheeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.