• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GB News.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, and hopefully it stays that way.
I think it will, We have the mechanisms in place to keep it that way, TV/Radio are well regulated

angelic upstart

GB news have already said that it'll be an individual programme with news based programmes. Not what we already have.

Personally, I don't see the need for yet more opinion based stuff, I prefer facts to form my own opinion. However it'll do well I'm sure.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm looking forward to it and agree with many of the comments made already News desperately needs a freshen up and I have a lot of time for Neil. A man who does his research unlike so many of his so-called contemporaries.

The fact that certain people on the far left are already threatening to boycott advertisers seems very premature and is often justified by conflating Neil with Murdoch, when they haven't worked together for decades. Murdoch is also launching UK news which is no doubt more likely to be "Fox like"

Oldsmobile-88

I look forward to seeing Andrew Neil interviewing slippery politicians & others.

Lots of virtual-signalling from the usual suspects for a news channel that is not on air yet.😁

angelic upstart

I'd say we need as many News channels in this country where there exists the demand. As long as they abide by currently broadcasting rules & laws of course.

You reel off the ones that already exist.

Firstly you have the Beeb. Now I don't so much have a problem with their bias. In fact I don't think they are actually that biased. My main beef with them is because they spend all their time worrying who they may or may not have offended, their news is dumbed down to the point it's little better than John Craven's Newsround was. I find it unwatchable. There's always Newsnight, but I gave up watching that since it became nothing more than a coven.

Then there's ITV. Again I have no beef with their News show as such. It's just that ITV is banned in our house (apart from 90 minutes of the Masked Singer of course).

Moving nicely along to Channel "I've never seen so many white people" Four. Nuff said.

I can't comment on C5, I thought they only did 2 minute splashes. But then we come to Sky. Now, here we had my Alamo: I used to watch it continuously, but ever since Covid hit, I can't watch it. Whether that was due in part to its takeover and new Woke direction, or its new obsession with Covid I don't know. But it, like the others, are now gone to me.

Who knows, GB News could come online and I might not like it either. Given that Andrew Neill is one of my favourite broadcasters/presenters, I imagine I very much will. His Thursday night politics show was one of the highlights of my week. Especially when Mrs Flint was on it! ;)
I really can't see GB news being more informative than the BBC (which I agree has been massively dumbed down) when you've got Wootton on every day.

I suspect it'll be a fair bit like talk radio, just on the TV. Which, to me, is a bit of a waste of time and effort as hardly anyone bothers watching actual TV anymore. So, it's likely, they'll be doing similar vox pops as talk radio/sport. Which in turn means they need pundits as opposed to anything resembling normalcy.

angelic upstart

I look forward to seeing Andrew Neil interviewing slippery politicians & others.

Lots of virtual-signalling from the usual suspects for a news channel that is not on air yet.😁
You couldn't ask for a better way to start the channel!

Rosencrantz

I really can't see GB news being more informative than the BBC (which I agree has been massively dumbed down) when you've got Wootton on every day.

I suspect it'll be a fair bit like talk radio, just on the TV. Which, to me, is a bit of a waste of time and effort as hardly anyone bothers watching actual TV anymore. So, it's likely, they'll be doing similar vox pops as talk radio/sport. Which in turn means they need pundits as opposed to anything resembling normalcy.
It does sound more like a televised version of LBC rather than an actual rolling news channel like BBC and Sky with a sizable amount of programming given over to opinion and debate rather than news.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hopefully Ofcom regulations will stop the excesses we see elsewhere.
Isn’t the Mail’s editor in chief Paul Dacre about to be handed the Ofcom gig? If so I wouldn’t hold out a lot of hope that this will reign things in.

Rosencrantz

Isn’t the Mail’s editor in chief Paul Dacre about to be handed the Ofcom gig? If so I wouldn’t hold out a lot of hope that this will reign things in.
Could be another one of those ploys to let it be known that a "toxic" name is favoured so when the favourable appointment is named in the job, the general feeling is of relief that it wasn't the toxic figure. Boris already did it with Charles Moore being touted as the new BBC Chairman before selecting Richard Sharp, still with Tory links but less divisive.

lamrobhero

I do not have a high opinion of the BBC, I do not believe it challenges in any meaningful way and its relationship with politicians is far too cosy.

I was blown away when I discovered MSNBC. OK some of it is not great. But the best of it just shows what is possible. Real and moving and sometimes a touch of irony. There is no sign that UK media is coming close.

Andrew Neil is another UK establishment figure in a long line of so called interrogators that discover nothing. The best that we have had was Brian Walden and that is going back a bit.