• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Cowshed Grecian

We clearly have an issue in that we aren’t competitive wage wise. We had a good summer after Covid due to other clubs struggling but this is the third window in the row where it’s been bleak asf.

Reading about he £4m injection from a set of US investors who look the real deal down at Argyle has got me depressed. I like the idea of fan ownership but have we reached the limit?
Absolutely. Mind you we had a £4m injection not so long back that could perhaps been spent in wages increases and keeping our best players instead some bright sparks decided to spend it on a new building-kitchen, gym and offices by the look of it.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good grief. One season back in L1 after ten years in L2 and we’re getting worried about finances and a stadium capable of entertaining Championship football. It’s also slightly more than amusing reading about how we’re possibly falling behind because we’re Trust owned and have no sugar daddy altruistic benefactor. Well, we’re currently mid table in the third tier, which means there’s half our current tier plus the whole of the one below who should be equally, or maybe even more, concerned at their lack of progress on and off the field.

This place 🙄🙄🙄

It the staying there that counts. We have barely a squad going into the summer. The now is ok but we didn’t sustain it before and it has taken 10 years for another crack.

All totally relevant to the going’s on in this transfer window and the previous two.

Antony Moxey

Absolutely. Mind you we had a £4m injection not so long back that could perhaps been spent in wages increases and keeping our best players instead some bright sparks decided to spend it on a new building-kitchen, gym and offices by the look of it.
’Some bright sparks’, at least that’s something you could never be accused of being.

Antony Moxey

It the staying there that counts. We have barely a squad going into the summer. The now is ok but we didn’t sustain it before and it has taken 10 years for another crack.

All totally relevant to the going’s on in this transfer window and the previous two.
That counts for what? We stay, we go, so what, nobody’s died, we go again.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
When i think I've heard all the stupid stuff come from our fans. I was wrong. Very, very wrong.

StudentGrecian

That counts for what? We stay, we go, so what, nobody’s died, we go again.
Get that on a billboard for project 6k, bound to encourage bums on seats.

Nobody is worried about this year, but it’s a worrying trend that we can’t attract anyone over the past 3 windows. With growing numbers of L2 and National League clubs who dwarf our budgets we need to be doing something if the aim is to be a sustainable L1 club. But nobody’s dead lads, we’re doing well now, don’t worry about future.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Those bright sparks would include all the trust members who voted in support of re-developing the training ground.

Memphis09

Only explanation I can see is budget and Lee is the cheap option , not really doing the kid any favours is it , not playing .
Would of given Lee the two games as experience

Memphis09

I'm certain that GC will want to impose players he wants in his first transfer window. If no one comes in, it must only be that funds are being denied. Which, given the income from Jay, Dieng, and the increased crowds, is depressing.
And of course you are also saving there weekly wage

Memphis09

The point is that was desperately needed
We had the funds
The long term better facilities hopefully attract better players
Surely players coming to the club would of laughed were you do your gym work ... in there buts that’s the canteen