• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m just a bit ****** about two “legends” leaving in two days because I’ve got this vision of us being rock bottom next season if he gets his recruitment wrong and leaving us in a two and eight. There just feels like a reason people are now happy to leave. Obviously I can’t predict the future but it’s a hunch, I’m going to get behind him and pray he can do the job.
I'm going to spill the beans and let you in on a secret I heard from a 'club insider'. Players who aren't currently in the team are happy to leave. Come on Cowshed are you really so naive not to realise that with the exception of some Premier league players on oodles of cash who dont care if they play the other 97% of professional footballers want to play week in week out. In MJ and Tim's case they now have their wish and are getting paid more for doing so. Would you rather Tim was happy to stay here as long as he could say "Let's Go" on a few videos as his contribution to the team?

Cowshed Grecian

While I’m in a bad mood, why is every deal involving ECFC stated as Undisclosed? Even this one with Dieng where there was even a release clause figure in his contract. Every club knows we are always skint, with no money to buy their players and we would sell any player for a reasonable amount. Which is apparently the reason to cover it up. Not that I personally need to know…I just think it’s weird, do Wimbledon do the same?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
While I’m in a bad mood, why is every deal involving ECFC stated as Undisclosed? Even this one with Dieng where there was even a release clause figure in his contract. Every club knows we are always skint, with no money to buy their players and we would sell any player for a reasonable amount. Which is apparently the reason to cover it up. Not that I personally need to know…I just think it’s weird, do Wimbledon do the same?
It's quite often the buying club who want it to be undisclosed because they don't want to be advertising how much money they have to spend.

On the flip side, the selling club also benefit from it being undisclosed because if we for example sell Nombe for £1m, when we approach Charlton for Stockley they know they can hold out for a similar figure.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Who cares about Wimbledon? We do it this way, frustrating as it is, because it protects our interests.

It's like you've woken up expecting Exeter City after 20 season's winning the Champion's League in FM23, and found you've actually lost the save and had to start over.

Bat Fastard

i'm perhaps optimistically reading this as caldwell being confident of keeping other key players/bringing in decent alternatives. our squad was already looking on the thin side before last couple of days.

I'm also slightly concerned about the possible affect on the dressing room - whilst neither were starting in this league, they were both very useful squad members and both ''got'' the club (especially MJ). I know some on here might view this as overly sentimental, but I see a continuation of personnel as critical at city. I always remember Lee Holmes remarks on this issue (3.35 onwards).

Whilst change is inevitable having secured promotion, it needs to be managed correctly....flitcroft still being involved is a big plus for me, he has had a hand in some excellent recruitment over the past couple of years. Also, surely we'll actually be buying some players this time round, seems like plenty of cash has flowed into the club over the past 6 months or so...

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
i'm perhaps optimistically reading this as caldwell being confident of keeping other key players/bringing in decent alternatives. our squad was already looking on the thin side before last couple of days.

I'm also slightly concerned about the possible affect on the dressing room - whilst neither were starting in this league, they were both very useful squad members and both ''got'' the club (especially MJ). I know some on here might view this as overly sentimental, but I see a continuation of personnel as critical at city. I always remember Lee Holmes remarks on this issue (3.35 onwards).

Whilst change is inevitable having secured promotion, it needs to be managed correctly....flitcroft still being involved is a big plus for me, he has had a hand in some excellent recruitment over the past couple of years. Also, surely we'll actually be buying some players this time round, seems like plenty of cash has flowed into the club over the past 6 months or so...
What a great interview from a first class professional. I would love it if we could bring in another one similar to Lee Holmes

Grecianpasty

I'm just excited to see Akinde and Atangana donning the red and white.

Red Monster

Have a look on all the transfer deals done this month and you’ll
find that all 26 where fees were involved are all undisclosed.

Its nothing new it’s been discussed on here many a time.
Argyle have bought 3 players all undisclosed, what are they
hiding 😉?

They are hiding the fact that when their manager recently stated on the radio they couldn't financially compete with the so called bigger teams he was being extremely economical with the truth. Political speak for being a l****g b*****d.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not concerned by the loss of MJ or Dieng but if we lose Collins or Kite from our midfield this window I'll be joining in with Cowshed Grecians pessimism of everything ecfc.