• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
If the bid for Collins is true, and it matches the potential compensation package, than I wouldn't accept any less than 100k more than that. He's too important to our team for him to leave at this point. He would also be able to leverage offers in a much better position if his contract where to expire. Although from a personal stand point, if he where to be offered double the wages at rovers and Is a home bird, it's a move too difficult to turn down.
Anything less than £500,000 with add on's, then In my opinion it is not worth selling at this point. Better off keeping him and dealing with the compensation at the end of the season.

Grecianpasty

Anything less than £500,000 with add on's, then In my opinion it is not worth selling at this point. Better off keeping him and dealing with the compensation at the end of the season.
Indeed. My comment was based around the 600k. That would be a good deal.

As great as he has been he won't reach the top end of a championship team, so a deal of that range would again be a good deal for the club.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Archie seems a sensible lad, so would know Rovers is a sideways move. I don’t think that’s the move he’d be looking for. Player power is prosthetic most important aspect here.

His performances have been good enough - at his age - to attract Championship attention. If that doesn’t transpire he may as well wait until he’s a free agent in the summer.

Red Monster

Seems a bit odd with Archie that on our end someone says
Rovers have made a bid ,but not one mention on there forum
or the Bristol Post.

Grecian Max

Regarding Rovers, they have so much potential but whilst they remain at arguably the worst ground in the football league - they will never reach their potential. I have a few friends who are a Rovers fans and they’re not that enamoured with their owners.

Bristol City would be a much better fit.

Bridgy 81

Historically people from South and West Bristol and Somerset follow Bristol City whereas people from East and North Bristol and Gloucestershire support Rovers.
I suppose it’s because despite only being a couple of miles apart it’s as a consequence of where their grounds were located when Rovers were based for many years at Eastville (now a Tesco and IKEA).
The old county boundary of Somerset used to run almost right up to where Ashton Gate is, so if Archie were to move to Rovers questions should be asked on that basis alone.

Grecian Max

Historically people from South and West Bristol and Somerset follow Bristol City whereas people from East and North Bristol and Gloucestershire support Rovers.
I suppose it’s because despite only being a couple of miles apart it’s as a consequence of where their grounds were located when Rovers were based for many years at Eastville (now a Tesco and IKEA).
The old county boundary of Somerset used to run almost right up to where Ashton Gate is, so if Archie were to move to Rovers questions should be asked on that basis alone.
Rovers have so much catching up to do it’s mad. Lived there for 12 years and the gap only widened. City have a premier league ground, constantly advertising across the city and have a much stronger brand in place to bring in the floating support who just want to take their kid to football. That was the most noticeable thing for me - I know and met fans of both teams but the only side that gets that “oh we’re going to pop down to the football” 1/2 times a year crowd are City.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rovers have so much catching up to do it’s mad. Lived there for 12 years and the gap only widened. City have a premier league ground, constantly advertising across the city and have a much stronger brand in place to bring in the floating support who just want to take their kid to football. That was the most noticeable thing for me - I know and met fans of both teams but the only side that gets that “oh we’re going to pop down to the football” 1/2 times a year crowd are City.
It helps when your owner is a billionaire who has invested over two hundred million pounds in the club.

arthur

Where is West Bristol? All I'm aware of is the Avon Gorge

Don't think Collins will leave until the summer. This might sound a bit daft/tin foil hat worthy, but is there a possibility that we won't get a fee for him?

Taken from the Guardian - A tribunal is only needed when a player under 24 years of age moves clubs having reached the end of his contract. Whatever valuation the tribunal comes up with is non-negotiable. The player has already changed clubs and there is no right of appeal on either side once a figure has been reached

Collins turns 24 on 31st August, is there a possibility the his agent and the club he is going to sign for don't sign a contact until then to avoid a tribunal fee? Say they offered Collins X amount extra a week to do this, he would probably take it, no?
It would mean that he would miss the few weeks of the season, but there would be nothing stopping him training with his future club.

Obviously you would hope he shows some respect / loyalty to ECFC, but money talks.