• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

TotnesGrecian

Beginning to think ( maybe to hard) that we can’t afford to be in league 1. Rumour mill saying none of out of contract players going to re sign. Got to be finance. The biggest crowds at the park over a season I can remember and still a budget to small to keep the players Makes you think
It makes you wonder where all the money goes.....

tom_ecfc

It makes you wonder where all the money goes.....
Players know they are performing well in L1 and upping their wage demands.

Bittners a Legend

The thought that any money raised is going to go towards retaining the likes of Collins and Brown is pure fantasy.
Implausible but not total fantasy in Collins' case. It's possible we might persuade Collins to sign on for another 12 months (24 unlikely but not impossible?) with an improved deal and a release fee clause. Caldwell clearly thinks he can improve Archie further and if Collins buys into that he might well think it worth hanging on for a little longer. Same applies for Key.

Agree re Brown though: if he gets big offers then we can't and shouldn't try to match them really as much of a loss as he would be.

Regardless, as fans it is easy to get upset about losing players we know and love but the backroom team Caldwell has assembled should have a wide range of knowledge and contacts in the game (wider than Matt Taylor had) to bring in replacements.

Getting any money for Dieng or Jay is great business in my opinion.

SaintJames

Beginning to think ( maybe to hard) that we can’t afford to be in league 1. Rumour mill saying none of out of contract players going to re sign. Got to be finance. The biggest crowds at the park over a season I can remember and still a budget to small to keep the players Makes you think
We cant sustain L1 football just on increased crowds especially when the commercial operation isn't performing to the levels it should be. The Watkins money has now largely dried up and Joel Randell's will soon. Therefore, unless we generate at least one significant transfer every couple of years we are forced to rely on buying players. polishing them up and selling them on for smaller fees to try and bridge the financial hole. I dont see a substantial transfer for another couple of seasons and then only if Harry Lee or Sonny Cox develop at a fast rate of knots. Chieck doesn't to me look like a big time player and that only leaves Kite and both those two may be in the same position as Archie and Key in leaving at the expiry of their current deals. We have to discover a few gems out there, keep our crowds as high as possible and hope someone from the Academy makes it. Not all teams in L1 each season will be ex Premier league outfits we just need to get through the next couple of seasons and continue to gradually rebuild. The good news is that much of the infrastructure spending has been done

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
If we offer Key and Collins a 12 month extension with this new found wealth won't they be able to walk away for free in 12 months time?

In addition wouldn't we also be selling players to fund the retention of current ones thus leaving our squad even smaller?

jimbo-gould

If we offer Key and Collins a 12 month extension with this new found wealth won't they be able to walk away for free in 12 months time?

In addition wouldn't we also be selling players to fund the retention of current ones thus leaving our squad even smaller?
Yeah it doesn't make sense to me. At least now they are 23 we have some assurances that we will be getting a fee for them if they move on. I think a 12 month contract could be the worst case scenario really. It gives us leverage when we sell them, but only if they go in the summer window coming up. Every single buying club knows that too.

SaintJames

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me. At least now they are 23 we have some assurances that we will be getting a fee for them if they move on. I think a 12 month contract could be the worst case scenario really. It gives us leverage when we sell them, but only if they go in the summer window coming up. Every single buying club knows that too.
Agree with that Jimbo. I hope the club has offered both players 2 year deals as realistically the club needs tribunal fees for both players which I would hope between them would generate around 500k at a reasonable guess

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agent Andy has gone AWOL…Wonder if he can give us any inside info on incomings or outgoings…

Red Monster

We cant sustain L1 football just on increased crowds especially when the commercial operation isn't performing to the levels it should be. The Watkins money has now largely dried up and Joel Randell's will soon. Therefore, unless we generate at least one significant transfer every couple of years we are forced to rely on buying players. polishing them up and selling them on for smaller fees to try and bridge the financial hole. I dont see a substantial transfer for another couple of seasons and then only if Harry Lee or Sonny Cox develop at a fast rate of knots. Chieck doesn't to me look like a big time player and that only leaves Kite and both those two may be in the same position as Archie and Key in leaving at the expiry of their current deals. We have to discover a few gems out there, keep our crowds as high as possible and hope someone from the Academy makes it. Not all teams in L1 each season will be ex Premier league outfits we just need to get through the next couple of seasons and continue to gradually rebuild. The good news is that much of the infrastructure spending has been done
We did sell Alfie Pond for a big fee at the beginning of the season.

SaintJames

Agent Andy has gone AWOL…Wonder if he can give us any inside info on incomings or outgoings…
He's been transferred :)