• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Spireitein peace

Do you mind not posting negtive comments on other clubs forums please. I get GC wasn't favourably liked at Chesterfield but can you leave us to make our own judgements
I’ve never implied you can’t make your own judgements and I understand it can appear somewhat negative. Anyhow I’ll let you be and genuine good luck in staying in L1.

lamrobhero

SaintJames said:
Do you mind not posting negtive comments on other clubs forums please. I get GC wasn't favourably liked at Chesterfield but can you leave us to make our own judgements

I’ve never implied you can’t make your own judgements and I understand it can appear somewhat negative. Anyhow I’ll let you be and genuine good luck in staying in L1.
Please carry on posting I have misgivings about GC and appreciate your perspective.

Spireitein peace

SaintJames said:

Please carry on posting I have misgivings about GC and appreciate your perspective.
This is a conundrum then because SaintJames has asked me not to post negative comments, whereas you ask for my perspective.
I can’t do both, because there wasn’t a single positive about GCs time as Chesterfield manager, he really was that bad.
Has he improved? He himself said he was naive at the time, so maybe he has learnt the lessons, and even though he was well backed at the start of the L2 season, the third biggest budget by all accounts, he was nothing short of a disaster.
The one thing I will say, and readily admit, is that those in charge of the club at the time were equally as bad.

lamrobhero

This is a conundrum then because SaintJames has asked me not to post negative comments, whereas you ask for my perspective.
I can’t do both, because there wasn’t a single positive about GCs time as Chesterfield manager, he really was that bad.
Has he improved? He himself said he was naive at the time, so maybe he has learnt the lessons, and even though he was well backed at the start of the L2 season, the third biggest budget by all accounts, he was nothing short of a disaster.
The one thing I will say, and readily admit, is that those in charge of the club at the time were equally as bad.
Did GC take responsibility for what happened?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Football is always reflective and needs to be taken in context of each persons opinion, but in all my time following Chesterfield, I’ve been a home regular since the mid 70s and an away regular since the early 80s, GC is, imho, without a doubt, given the league we were in and the budget he had when he took over, and the state we were in when he left, the worst manager in my supporting history, and there’s been a few candidates for that.
Anyhow all the best, and I hope your still in L1 when his time with you ends.
Many City fans old enough to remember the 80's will suggest that Gerry Francis was quite possibly the worst ever City manager and yet he learnt from the experience and went on to be a reasonably succesful manager in the top flight.

Alfie 1966

Many City fans old enough to remember the 80's will suggest that Gerry Francis was quite possibly the worst ever City manager and yet he learnt from the experience and went on to be a reasonably succesful manager in the top flight.
If i remember it right when Gerry arrived he said he would get city out of league 3 ,,, He did we went straight back to League 4...

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really bored of listening to fans of GC's old clubs go on about how bad he was - WE KNOW.

ECFC are a completely different outfit, we aren't a basket case and we give managers time and get behind them. In 12 months time we may be pestering fans of GC's next club saying how bad he is but at least give the bloke a chance. He is still a young manager learning every day, just because he made mistakes previously doesn't mean they'll be made again.

lamrobhero

If i remember it right when Gerry arrived he said he would get city out of league 3 ,,, He did we went straight back to League 4...
I may be wrong but I have a memory of Gerry not actually saying that he would take us to Div 1 but he did mention Div 1 in a pre season interview. He talked a good game. I knew then that he would be rubbish.

Re Now, This is what troubles me about "Project 6000" and some of the stuff coming out of the Club, we are starting to talk a good game. Let's achieve first and talk later.

lamrobhero

Really bored of listening to fans of GC's old clubs go on about how bad he was - WE KNOW.

ECFC are a completely different outfit, we aren't a basket case and we give managers time and get behind them. In 12 months time we may be pestering fans of GC's next club saying how bad he is but at least give the bloke a chance. He is still a young manager learning every day, just because he made mistakes previously doesn't mean they'll be made again.
Its why he was bad that is interesting to try and understand

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Its why he was bad that is interesting to try and understand
We've heard it all constantly since the day it looked like he was going to be our new manager.