• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

ExmouthMart

This looks like a fire sale and if Collins goes it definitely will be. Taylors words going back awhile about how confident he was we would easily get a million pound plus in the coming four transfer windows hasn’t really materialised and if we don’t sell players on for big money we are going to start going backwards quickly.
Caldwell has to bring in several players quickly to replace two quality players in Jay and Dieng and also to give the squad some depth. I’d imagine Nombe has a release clause as well so that might be another one being triggered soon.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
This looks like a fire sale and if Collins goes it definitely will be.
I would agree if we had made Dieng available for transfer but as we know we didnt we wanted him to stay. The player decided to leave. As others have said we have lost two squad players who need to be replaced. Mr Mainwaring here will only panic if we lose serious first team players

ExmouthMart

I would agree if we had made Dieng available for transfer but as we know we didnt we wanted him to stay. The player decided to leave. As others have said we have lost two squad players who need to be replaced. Mr Mainwaring here will only panic if we lose serious first team players
Just remind me how big our squad was before these two left?! How can you describe those two as not integral parts of the team?! So if Sweeney gets a big money offer you would be worried…….

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This looks like a fire sale and if Collins goes it definitely will be. Taylors words going back awhile about how confident he was we would easily get a million pound plus in the coming four transfer windows hasn’t really materialised and if we don’t sell players on for big money we are going to start going backwards quickly.
Caldwell has to bring in several players quickly to replace two quality players in Jay and Dieng and also to give the squad some depth. I’d imagine Nombe has a release clause as well so that might be another one being triggered soon.
Others may have more exact figures but I would estimate the money we have received for Alfie Pond, MJ and Tim Dieng plus the add-ons for Ethan and Ollie will be close to a million.

Reactions: Ash

ExmouthMart

Others may have more exact figures but I would estimate the money we have received for Alfie Pond, MJ and Tim Dieng plus the add-ons for Ethan and Ollie will be close to a million.
I think he was talking about current players but I’d forgotten about the ‘bottomless’ Watkins money we receive……..

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pond £500,000
Ampadu's loan i think meant another £240,000 for us
Matt Jay £50,000
Dieng £150,000
and i think we got some additional monies for Ollie.

I Make that just shy of £1m and also Increased attendances will have significantly helped finances.

Just to confirm, those are not exact figures, but figures based on reports and MJ's and Dieng's figures are based on what I have heard here and through friends. Again do not take a gospel, but it would suggest we have earnt around £1m from fees

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
How can you describe those two as not integral parts of the team?!
Like this: Jay and Dieng were not integral parts of the team.

ExmouthMart

Pond £500,000
Ampadu's loan i think meant another £240,000 for us
Matt Jay £50,000
Dieng £150,000
and i think we got some additional monies for Ollie.

I Make that just shy of £1m and also Increased attendances will have significantly helped finances.
The only publicly acknowledged one I thought was Pond. Jay and Dieng are undisclosed and the rest are ‘I think’……..

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just remind me how big our squad was before these two left?! How can you describe those two as not integral parts of the team?! So if Sweeney gets a big money offer you would be worried…….
It wasn't our choice though was it with Tim. I love Sweenz but if he gets a big money offer then I will just wake myself up ..........................

Bridgy 81

I might be going a bit off-piste here but one reason I’m sorry to see Tim go is his aerial ability.
I think, apart from a few of the lads at the back, we now have quite a short squad.
Our midfielders aren’t tall (Collins, Kite, Kegs and in due course Taylor - I‘m not sure about White).
Our current strikers aren’t tall either.
I appreciate League One’s playing style can be a little different to League Two and that GC may be wanting to tweak ours a bit, but personally I always like some height in our squad.
Hopefully that’ll be addressed in our forthcoming new signings.