• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I really love people's optimism re play offs so I'm now going to shit all over it...

IF Barnsley win their games in hand, they will be on 52 points, leaving us 12 points off the play offs.

IF Portsmouth and Port Vale win their games in hand, we will have to leapfrog 6 sides to get into the play offs.

An awful lot to ask with or without the players we risk losing.

Boyo

Eh ? We are just 5 pts off Barnsley although they have 3 games in hand. We do of course still have a potential "6 pointer" with them after last week's postponement. This time last season we were over twenty points behind the Vegans and look what happened ! Just saying like !
My error! Although we would need the 10 wins and 5 draws from 18 games to get to 73 points, which probably still wouldn't be enough. Argyle missed out last year, having got to 80 points 🤣

C j phill

I really love people's optimism re play offs so I'm now going to shit all over it...

IF Barnsley win their games in hand, they will be on 52 points, leaving us 12 points off the play offs.

IF Portsmouth and Port Vale win their games in hand, we will have to leapfrog 6 sides to get into the play offs.

I'd be concerned about promotion to the Championship, given the players who are likely to leave in this and the next transfer window. Our chances of attracting players to give us any chance of being competitive in the Championship, next season, if that miracle occurred, must be very slim.

If we could consolidate our League 1 position over the next couple of seasons, both financially and player wise through academy and acquisition development, I'd welcome a tilt at Championship in a few years time, but I think it could be detrimental to the Club, overall, if we gained promotion before we were ready for it.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

I am an optimist but as you say it's not a question of overhauling one team e.g. Barnsley. Fans of Wycombe, Pompey, Peterboro, and Shrewsbury will feel in a better place and even the Gas and Port Vale could challenge. We can give it a go of course we can but the liklihood of doing so is remarkably slim. Anything between 8th and 12th would be an incredible season with the strength in this league this year.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ok, but very, very early days with that. White, yes, has had some quality moments, but I've yet to see any evidence of consistency and end product so far. And as for Mitchell, don't know anyone can surmise anything on the limited game time.

So my jury is out and probably will be for some time re Caldwell's ability around finding a player.
Exactly as I said then, early impressions. Without want to go too "Moxey" on this, I did specifically word it in a way that suggests what you're saying re: wait and see

Ashford Grecian

The thing is that whilst we have the current squad mainly intact it could be now or never for the Championship push

grecIAN Harris

You all thought we didn't stand a cat in hell's chance of winning League 2 this time last season. We were a goal away from doing so. Just saying.......

Grecian Max

You all thought we didn't stand a cat in hell's chance of winning League 2 this time last season. We were a goal away from doing so. Just saying.......
The best I was right but wasn't right post there ever was

kuznetsov

Talk of the Championship is just bonkers. We need to establish ourselves as a league 1 club first.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Obviously something is happening today s our twitter account has been dormant for the past five hours.