• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd like to think that Sonny Cox could be that man.
Clearly not this season.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
In my mind Sonny has been recalled purely whilst we find additions and also in case we lose anyone.

He needs game time and will be sent back to Bath I reckon, once the window is close to shutting (soon then)
So now I'm right again, I reckon this signals we have a forward pretty much ready to sign which is exciting 🔥 Perhaps Gary has kidnapped Will Grigg?

iscalad

So now I'm right again, I reckon this signals we have a forward pretty much ready to sign which is exciting 🔥 Perhaps Gary has kidnapped Will Grigg?
Think his fire went out a few seasons ago. Still, you never know.......

arthur

If we have a good new forward and keep Sam Nombe, then we'd need to ditch wing backs if we are to fit them both in.

Back 4 with Key and Mitchell as full backs; Hartridge plus one as centre backs

Diamond midfield Kite; Collins White; Brown

Sam plus one up front

Grecian Max

If we have a good new forward and keep Sam Nombe, then we'd need to ditch wing backs if we are to fit them both in.

Sam plus one up front
I'm fairly certain that he wants to stick with wingbacks, with the signing of Mitchell and Aimson - Aimson to bolster the three at the back and to play up and down the wing as a LWB.

With the amount of balls we get into the box I think it makes sense to have someone who can dominate a bit more in the air.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster

Sam plus one up front
I wouldn't expect much from Mitchell as a left-back in a back four - I don't think he's an upgrade, defensively, on Sparkes. His value comes from his pace, & ability to attack from deep on the left flank.

(plus - what Max said)

arthur

I'm fairly certain that he wants to stick with wingbacks, with the signing of Mitchell and Aimson - Aimson to bolster the three at the back and to play up and down the wing as a LWB.

With the amount of balls we get into the box I think it makes sense to have someone who can dominate a bit more in the air.
The trouble is that with wing backs something's got to go higher up the pitch. Brown, Sam and the new man means only two in midfield, so probably no White. Three in midfield (Collins, Kite White) means leaving out one of the front three.

I can understand wingbacks when we're a bit flaky further upfield, but now this area has been immeasurably strengthened with the arrival of White and your new man, I'd have thought a change of approach could be considered

Grecian Max

The trouble is that with wing backs something's got to go higher up the pitch. Brown, Sam and the new man means only two in midfield, so probably no White. Three in midfield (Collins, Kite White) means leaving out one of the front three.

I can understand wingbacks when we're a bit flaky further upfield, but now this area has been immeasurably strengthened with the arrival of White and your new man, I'd have thought a change of approach could be considered
Not sure I'm understanding this right

We play, for the most part (ignore the numbers):

Space for 2 forward, and 3 midfielders, not 2 (White to be playing mainly in that role behind the front 2)

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 12.03.31.png

arthur

I wouldn't expect much from Mitchell as a left-back in a back four - I don't think he's an upgrade, defensively, on Sparkes. His value comes from his pace, & ability to attack from deep on the left flank.

(plus - what Max said)
So we still could do with a proper left back then? Haven't had one since Lewis Page which is odd given our record of having very good ones (Moxey, Friend, Golborne etc)

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stockley not in Charlton’s squad for today’s game home to Bolton Wanderers.

Reactions: Ash