• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is there even a confirmed bid for Key? And where has this 500k come from? All seems a bit of a fairy tale.
It’s a made up Twitter account with under 200 followers. They were slightly smarter than the others by adding in a @TheAthletic as a source even though they havent reported on it

We should have cashed in when Sunderland wanted him, imagine the scenes of getting near a million for Key 😂 Would be up there with the Tom Nichols deal for daylight robbery.

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jokull *taps nose*

Colesman Ballz

Players will come if you offer the right money as Plymouth are showing. 500k for for a full back who is going to walk away for free in a few months anyway would be a step towards being able to offer the right money.
Plymouth, full credit to them, had also done their homework and negotiations in advance and were ready to sign players as soon as the window opened. We weren't ! With five fixtures in January their's was the right approach. With just Joe White in and the loss of Jay and Timothee we have virtually no bench left. We don't have the players to bring on as substitutes to impact the game. At Pompey there was Collins, Stanno and Sparkes. Stubbs isn't fit, Harper not trusted, Grounds to shore up the defence in the last few minutes and a young keeper. That is why we are struggling. Just because you have a bit of money in doesn't necessarily make the problems of getting the right players in go away. Taylor couldn't manage it last summer, and bearing in mind the Pond fee it isn't the real issue now. I don't have the answer but I do know that simply flogging off our team and trusting that we can simply easily replace them is a high risk strategy!

wiveygrecian

Jokull *taps nose*
Jamal with a hip injury??

Average Joe

Would be up there with the Tom Nichols deal for daylight robbery.
We got a good deal for Tom, but I'd have him back. I honestly think the move to the Posh broke him slightly.

jimmy

Jokull *taps nose*
He signed a 3 year deal with Reading in 2021...so still has another 18 months. Anyone know if he's highly regarded there?

Would be a lift for the fan base if Jamal doesn't extend his contract in June.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
He signed a 3 year deal with Reading in 2021...so still has another 18 months. Anyone know if he's highly regarded there?

Would be a lift for the fan base if Jamal doesn't extend his contract in June.
I would assume if true that this would be on loan. This would then be our 5th loan though, which is the max you can have in a match-day squad. This only makes things harder for GC in terms of who he tries to bring in. I doubt that we would want loan players not in the 18 on match-day, so you would think that Harper will go back at some stage if we are able to bring someone in to replace him.

The squad has been short in numbers all season (which again highlights how well we have been doing), but is now desperately short and needs help, so hopefully GC is able to pull off a couple more signings and we don't lose too many more players this window.

The sooner we get to 50 points the better, especially with the amount of money that some teams below us are spending this window.

Banksy

The squad has been short in numbers all season (which again highlights how well we have been doing), but is now desperately short and needs help, so hopefully GC is able to pull off

The sooner we get to 50 points the better, especially with the amount of money that some teams below us are spending this window.
We might just hang on in this season especially as there are several basket case teams scrabbling round the bottom of the table , but a bad run could change that of course especially as some have now strengthened more than us. I’m more inclined to be concerned about how we’re going to stay in this league next season what with all the bad vibes about losing out of contract players now coming to the surface.We haven’t the clout money wise to properly replace them and as our neighbours down the road have shown you need to splash the cash hold your own let alone to make any progress.
Still, this is what supporting City is all about , the ups and downs!

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jamal with a hip injury??
That’s what I’ve heard and Jokull to come in to plug the gap…but it could all be Chinese whispers so who knows!

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
We might just hang on in this season especially as there are several basket case teams scrabbling round the bottom of the table , but a bad run could change that of course especially as some have now strengthened more than us. I’m more inclined to be concerned about how we’re going to stay in this league next season what with all the bad vibes about losing out of contract players now coming to the surface.We haven’t the clout money wise to properly replace them and as our neighbours down the road have shown you need to splash the cash hold your own let alone to make any progress.
Still, this is what supporting City is all about , the ups and downs!
Yep take your points and this summer will be extremely challenging for GC. There are teams spending over 1.5 million on players in this division which shows just what we are up against. Having said that, from the fans forum last week I think Justin Quick referenced that while our budget is in the bottom third of the Division we are able to compete with the majority of clubs mid-table and down. This gives me some hope!

I think the big issue is while we may be able to compete with some of the league in terms of finance, we can't compete with them in terms of location which really hinders us. Plymouth are getting the players in as they are able to pay big wages now which really makes a difference and are able to offer long-term contracts of 3-4 year's which gives players the security to actually move down this way and away from their support networks etc.

I think we will need to rely on loans a lot more moving forward and hopefully GC's contacts will really help us with that. Joe White being young and no family had no issue moving down here. We will need more of these types of signings moving forward, supplemented with our Academy players coming through and some experienced Pro's.

It will certainly be difficult, but I still think we can establish ourselves in the league if we get things right and I am sure everyone behind the scenes probably understands the issues we will face moving forward.

Let's get through this window first though, and make sure we have a strong 2nd half of the season!!