• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough the players to avoid a cashflow crisis

ex_user1234

Resigned
My understanding of the Club finances is that unless we furlough the players soon we are heading for a cashflow crisis later in the year.

Forest Green and Portsmouth have already done it and we should follow suit as soon as possible.

We do not have to wait for permission from the PFA or EFL. This an employment issue only.

Ed

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
We already have a furlough thread running Devon Live are reporting that the non playing staff have been furloughed already

malcolms

We already have a furlough thread running Devon Live are reporting that the non playing staff have been furloughed already
As i said earlier, the matter of furloughing employees is not as straightforward as it might appear. The reality is that the online registration portal wont be running before the end of the month and assuming the conditions are met, the money won't be flowing into accounts before then. As a consequence two months salaries will need to have been paid. Also most players will be on more than 30,000 pounds so the maximum 2500 ponds monthly government contribution will still need to be topped up, assuming the players don't accept a reduction in their pay.

ex_user1234

Resigned
As i said earlier, the matter of furloughing employees is not as straightforward as it might appear. The reality is that the online registration portal wont be running before the end of the month and assuming the conditions are met, the money won't be flowing into accounts before then. As a consequence two months salaries will need to have been paid. Also most players will be on more than 30,000 pounds so the maximum 2500 ponds monthly government contribution will still need to be topped up, assuming the players don't accept a reduction in their pay.
Sorry, but I disagree. It is straightforward. I've done it for my own business and whilst it is not pleasant for those involved, it is necessary for many businesses to avoid cashflow meltdown. The players need to step up and share the financial pain the Club and its fans are experiencing. As a fan-owned club we should be leading the way on this, not waiting for the PFA to tell us what to do. At present we are burning cash while the players sit at home. All the good work the Trust and Club have done to get City into a financially stable position is being undone.

iscalad

The official Site is full of interesting information.

Grecian Max

Players are on fixed term contracts though? As I understood it, only full time staff can be furloughed?

Boyo

My understanding was that companies could furlough staff only in situations where the alternative would be redundancy. Given that ECFC have cash in the bank it does raise the moral issue on whether we should be leaning on the tax payer.

I do think it's disgusting that the likes of Spurs have furlonghed non-playing staff some of whom would only have earned a few hundred quid a month, yet continue to pay players tens of thousands per week, each! That's fundamentally taking this ****. I suspect that if players were furloughed that it would be in breach of contract which means players could sign elsewhere on a free.

Boyo

Sorry, but I disagree. It is straightforward. I've done it for my own business and whilst it is not pleasant for those involved, it is necessary for many businesses to avoid cashflow meltdown. The players need to step up and share the financial pain the Club and its fans are experiencing. As a fan-owned club we should be leading the way on this, not waiting for the PFA to tell us what to do. At present we are burning cash while the players sit at home. All the good work the Trust and Club have done to get City into a financially stable position is being undone.
Employees who are furloughed are entitled to seek employment elsewhere. For footballers, does that mean they could sign elsewhere for free? That's why Clubs are seeking guidance from the PFA and EFL. There's a risk that Collins or Sparkes for example could leave for £0.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If you want to donate to the club you can do so at:

C j phill

I understand the decision to furlough and the need for the Club to generate income at this time. However, before I purchase a season ticket, I'd like assurance that any payments to Club Directors cease for the full period that the playing season is suspended.