• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough the players to avoid a cashflow crisis

ex_user1234

Resigned
That article makes no comment about whether there were issues or not. For all we know those FGR players may be seeking employment elsewhere right now.

As we have a healthy balance sheet. So should we be seeking tax payers money, is the moral dilemma?
Re FGR, what club is buying players in the middle of a global pandemic? None that I can see.

Re our healthy balance sheet, it is being eroded with every week that passes. I don't know the exact figures, but it wouldn't surprise me if we're doling out up to £40,000 a week for the players to do nothing. Last year we made a loss of £700,000. Currently we have no income and lots of costs. It doesn't take a genius to work out where this is heading without strong action and leadership.

Re, moral dilemma, there isn't one. The government set up the scheme for ALL companies. That includes football clubs.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Forgetting the players for a moment, if all non-playing staff have been furloughed, am I right in thinking they can't now do any work for the club [even on a voluntary basis]? If so, then it would follow that all the great social media output we've enjoyed over the past few weeks will be coming to an abrupt end. :-(
Hey Egg. They can volunteer their time if that's what they'd like to do. The Club just can't ask them to do anything. I agree the social media team are ace. Scott is awesome.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hey Egg. They can volunteer their time if that's what they'd like to do. The Club just can't ask them to do anything. I agree the social media team are ace. Scott is awesome.
This may be a bit of a grey area, but that's not my understanding. I thought furloughed employees could undertake voluntary work, but that this could not be for their employer.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
This may be a bit of a grey area, but that's not my understanding. I thought furloughed employees could undertake voluntary work, but that this could not be for their employer.
Then they can do it for the Trust?

ex_user1234

Resigned
Here's what the government say:

If your employee does volunteer work or training
A furloughed employee can take part in volunteer work or training, as long as it does not provide services to or generate revenue for, or on behalf of your organisation.

In practise, and reputable employment lawyers agree, you are right that it is a bit of a grey area.

Andy Holloway

My understanding of the Club finances is that unless we furlough the players soon we are heading for a cashflow crisis later in the year.

Forest Green and Portsmouth have already done it and we should follow suit as soon as possible.

We do not have to wait for permission from the PFA or EFL. This an employment issue only.

Ed
Ed, In case it had passed you by, the trust elections have been and gone, you didn't get elected!

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry, but I disagree. It is straightforward. I've done it for my own business and whilst it is not pleasant for those involved, it is necessary for many businesses to avoid cashflow meltdown. The players need to step up and share the financial pain the Club and its fans are experiencing. As a fan-owned club we should be leading the way on this, not waiting for the PFA to tell us what to do. At present we are burning cash while the players sit at home. All the good work the Trust and Club have done to get City into a financially stable position is being undone.
No need to apologise, but other than informing your employees, what else have you been able to do in practical terms? The online site to register won't be up and running for a couple of weeks at least... The money flowing and when will be another question for sure

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Forgetting the players for a moment, if all non-playing staff have been furloughed, am I right in thinking they can't now do any work for the club [even on a voluntary basis]? If so, then it would follow that all the great social media output we've enjoyed over the past few weeks will be coming to an abrupt end. :-(
This is a big question...There are plenty of companies who are unable to earn any money but would like to keep their staff on and maybe for one day a week they could update the company website or other non revenue earning activity. It just shows that Government have little or no idea how businesses are run...

Boyo

Should we be putting the club at long term risk and thus risking local business and people losing money if the unthinkable was to happen and we went bust, is the real question here, not the moral high ground.
Are you happy for your hard earned taxes to be spent on propping up Spurs who are happy to continue to pay players millions of pounds each month and have an owner worth £4.4 BILLION?

Boyo

Re FGR, what club is buying players in the middle of a global pandemic? None that I can see.

Re our healthy balance sheet, it is being eroded with every week that passes. I don't know the exact figures, but it wouldn't surprise me if we're doling out up to £40,000 a week for the players to do nothing. Last year we made a loss of £700,000. Currently we have no income and lots of costs. It doesn't take a genius to work out where this is heading without strong action and leadership.

Re, moral dilemma, there isn't one. The government set up the scheme for ALL companies. That includes football clubs.
IF the furlough scheme didn't exist would we be laying off staff? If the answer is no, then I don't think we (or any other company) should be using the scheme. If some staff would have been laid off then its a legitimate use of the scheme. If every company abuses the scheme, the level of taxation required in future years will be astronomical.

Only one Club has furloughed players. I think waiting for guidance from the PFA and EFL is sensible.