• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough the players to avoid a cashflow crisis

ex_user1234

Resigned
The players have all been sent home. No training or matches for a few weeks now. They have personal training plans but I'm not sure that would count as 'work'.
If the Club put the personal training plans together, which seems highly likely, then that is classed as work. Under the furlough scheme you cannot instruct employees to do anything work-related or you could face criminal penalties.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I forget the sauce:
J
"Earlier this morning we got a readout of the UK GDP figure for February, and it makes for worrying reading.

While the UK economy expanded 0.1% over the three months to February, on a monthly basis, there was actually a 0.1% contraction following a rise in both December and January .

Now that’s worrying because it shows the UK economy was underperforming even before the coronavirus outbreak resulted in a country wide lockdown".

ex_user1234

Resigned
I agree that the Govt's response has been poorly co-ordinated and too ponderous.
In order for people to get back to work the anti-body tests are vital, but the Govt has failed miserably to procure them.
The herd immunity policy also seems to have proven to be the wrong measure. I am inferring that you think the lockdown was not necessary? Am I right in inferring that?
I agree. And that is all I am saying about City. A poorly co-ordinated and ponderous response.

dommers

I've been studying these figures this morning and up until the middle of March the death rate was below average. It may well have increased a little but it wont all be attributable to the virus. It just seems that our response has been totally uncoordinated from the start, and the lack of an exit plan just reinforces the feeling.
I've been studying these figures for the last two weeks and the death rate has been below the average as we've had a mild winter in terms of flu and a better vaccine than in previous, despite all the challenges getting it. The figures have started to rise in the last week and next weeks will be the same.
Of course what we don't know is how the cancellation of other appts, i.e. chemotherapy, will have on all cause mortality over the long term as patient die earlier than they would had they been treated.

Spoonz Red E

If the Club put the personal training plans together, which seems highly likely, then that is classed as work. Under the furlough scheme you cannot instruct employees to do anything work-related or you could face criminal penalties.
I would have expected Torquay, Argyle & Sunderland to all have done the same thing with their players.
It's common practice across football for players to have tailored fitness plans.
It's in their interest to remain fit for when they return to work as they do over the summer break.
It could fall under 'work'; it could fall under 'guidance' - i.e. "if you want to keep up your fitness while you aren't working then this is what we would advise".

Alistair20000

I agree that the Govt's response has been poorly co-ordinated and too ponderous.
In order for people to get back to work the anti-body tests are vital, but the Govt has failed miserably to procure them.
The herd immunity policy also seems to have proven to be the wrong measure. I am inferring that you think the lockdown was not necessary? Am I right in inferring that?
We do not know the answer to that.

IndoMike

I agree. And that is all I am saying about City. A poorly co-ordinated and ponderous response.
About City : we've both made our feelings perfectly clear. I understand your viewpoint and I assume you understand mine. I think we've argued about this to infinity so I suggest we agree to differ and move on.
We will see what happens and who was right in the coming weeks
Generally, as I said in another post : furloughs or no.furloughs the future of any lower league club and of the whole pyramid system is concerning.
However, governments are aware of the power of football and realize they might be asking for trouble if several million blokes are deprived of their weekly dose of football : those blokes might turn their attention to talking about the Government and its effectivenesss rather than footie. Remember, football is the opiate of the masses. So I have a feeling if necessary the Govt will at least try to help

Alistair20000

Common sense needs to prevail.

If the Club puts a training plan together the player can simply say I read it I but am implementing my own plan thank you. Training is part of keeping fit anyway which the government is encouraging.

IndoMike

I would have expected Torquay, Argyle & Sunderland to all have done the same thing with their players.
It's common practice across football for players to have tailored fitness plans.
It's in their interest to remain fit for when they return to work as they do over the summer break.
It could fall under 'work'; it could fall under 'guidance' - i.e. "if you want to keep up your fitness while you aren't working then this is what we would advise".
A person has the right to maintain their fitness levels whether they are professional sportsman or not. In fact it could be said we have an obligation to ourselves and our families to exercise within this lockdown situation for the benefit of our mental and physical well- being. If the government considers that to be a crime they can go do one. In fact, they can go do one anyway 😉

malcolms

No, but I think it could be more intelligently applied. Only the stupid enter without have some idea of how to exit. Unfortunately, this is where we seem to be.