• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough Payments

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
How will they know? I'm also hoping to make use of these furlough payments...
The staff under furlough are not allowed to do any work, answer emails or engage in any way with work activity and yet the Government is also saying that the company can choose to make up the difference in what they contribute and what the employee is paid... Seems to me they are penalising the company that makes a moral decision to keep people on even though they may have no money coming in at all...It's encouraging people to have to be dishonest.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
The staff under furlough are not allowed to do any work, answer emails or engage in any way with work activity and yet the Government is also saying that the company can choose to make up the difference in what they contribute and what the employee is paid... Seems to me they are penalising the company that makes a moral decision to keep people on even though they may have no money coming in at all...It's encouraging people to have to be dishonest.
Thats probably the case, but it's hard to see a strategy that avoids that and doesn't see huge numbers or newly unemployed.

For the record, I wasnt planning to he dishonest. Its not possible to work. I either get paid to do nothing, do nothing for nothing or get furlough money.

malcolms

Thats probably the case, but it's hard to see a strategy that avoids that and doesn't see huge numbers or newly unemployed.

For the record, I wasnt planning to he dishonest. Its not possible to work. I either get paid to do nothing, do nothing for nothing or get furlough money.
I agree, I was just pointing out the anomaly....

Colesman Ballz

If these payments go through then at least Macclesfield players will get paid for a change.
Unless the Government pay the wages direct to the players, which is highly unlikely, then I wouldn't hold my breath given their $hit of an owner !

Alistair20000

Unless the Government pay the wages direct to the players, which is highly unlikely, then I wouldn't hold my breath given their $hit of an owner !

I think the idea is to pay the Employer so it will be interesting to see what safeguards are put in place.

As all of this is being made up on the hoof the risks may not even have been thought up let alone thought through.

Rosencrantz

I think the idea is to pay the Employer so it will be interesting to see what safeguards are put in place.

As all of this is being made up on the hoof the risks may not even have been thought up let alone thought through.
It will have to be through HMRC who could check their claim against previous month's FPS declarations to see whether it is within a tolerance and pay through the PAYE system. Just as well the Revenue hasn't been cut to the bone staff wise and they are great at rolling IT out quickly and efficiently to the extra staff who will have to be seconded to the PAYE department...oh 🤔

Alistair20000

It will have to be through HMRC who could check their claim against previous month's FPS declarations to see whether it is within a tolerance and pay through the PAYE system. Just as well the Revenue hasn't been cut to the bone staff wise and they are great at rolling IT out quickly and efficiently to the extra staff who will have to be seconded to the PAYE department...oh 🤔
Yep, I really feel for the poor old HMRC foot soldiers who are at the sharp end and have to take a lot of flak from "customers" while top management spouts out trendy buzz words and expects the computers to do it all.

Cannot see how HMRC will be able to judge whether the payments they make to Employers will be properly used. Just needs some draconian rules to punish those who divert the funds away from the real intended beneficiaries. Summary execution after a short fair trial should deter.

I have just been reading "Taxation" magazine where the Editor says there is evidence of internet traffic telling businesses to ramp up the February remuneration for family members, take on family members etc to furlough with a view to maximising payouts. Pretty disgusting if true and hopefully no reputable professional advisors are going down that path.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Probably dufficult to organise fairly at short notice, but it would be good if staff on government sponsored furlough were heavily encouraged to volunteer their time. Obviously it wouldn't be possible for all.

LOG

This is my understanding too. Payments to furloughed employees still have to go through company payroll then the employer is reimbursed.

Grecian2K

I believe the word "furlough" was last in common usage in the Inspector Morse series. (RIP Mr Thaw)