• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fringe players at the turn of the year

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Making room for Kite would be the reason Big Nige would be released not because of Tim Dieng. They are different types of player. The only things that Nige and Tim have in common is their height and they have French origins.
I agree. Dieng is clearly more of a goalscoring machine something that big Nige could never be classified as :)

Boyo

Colin Daniels has been a real disappointment for me. He came with loads of recent games in L1 and no doubt he's on a decent wage, but he's done little to deserve a starting place. I think the few times he has started he's had Edward Owura playing in front of him who I think struggles positionally and tactically, so that's his only mitigation.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Colin Daniels has been a real disappointment for me. He came with loads of recent games in L1 and no doubt he's on a decent wage, but he's done little to deserve a starting place. I think the few times he has started he's had Edward Owura playing in front of him who I think struggles positionally and tactically, so that's his only mitigation.
...and Josh Coley a couple of times, and he wasn't great then either

Philecfc

I see Rowe and Sparkes fighting for the wing back position in the next year or so. Rowe is inexperienced and loans will bring him on and I think he is a good prospect for the future.

andrew p long

MT's mind will soon be turning to what is to happen to the fringe players in the summer. He has 35(?) professionals to pick from including both loans in and out.That's a lot for a League Two club and he will also need to find space for next season's new signings (5?) and this year's crop of first year professionals(4or5?).

So I reckon MT will need to lose 10 or more of the squad. 4 loanees would depart automatically, though that only highlights how we will need a keeper and more firepower up front if they don't stay, (and one of those -Edwards- has gone already.)

Then any player who is not a first team regular and doesn't have a contract for next season is at risk. MT will have to find enough departures from (in my view)

30 somethings - Grounds Daniel Atangana

22/21 year olds - Seymour Rowe Dyer Dodd (Dodd is in the school year below the others and has missed 18 months through injury so..?)

First year pros - some may have signed 2 year deals but we often lose one or two players - like Louis Morison, Lewis Wilson - after one year as a pro.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see Rowe and Sparkes fighting for the wing back position in the next year or so. Rowe is inexperienced and loans will bring him on and I think he is a good prospect for the future.
Interesting that Rowe has tended to play in midfield in his recent loans. A position he has also played for City in the Pizza Trophy too.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
MT's mind will soon be turning to what is to happen to the fringe players in the summer. He has 35(?) professionals to pick from including both loans in and out.That's a lot for a League Two club and he will also need to find space for next season's new signings (5?) and this year's crop of first year professionals(4or5?).

So I reckon MT will need to lose 10 or more of the squad. 4 loanees would depart automatically, though that only highlights how we will need a keeper and more firepower up front if they don't stay, (and one of those -Edwards- has gone already.)

Then any player who is not a first team regular and doesn't have a contract for next season is at risk. MT will have to find enough departures from (in my view)

30 somethings - Grounds Daniel Atangana

22/21 year olds - Seymour Rowe Dyer Dodd (Dodd is in the school year below the others and has missed 18 months through injury so..?)

First year pros - some may have signed 2 year deals but we often lose one or two players - like Louis Morison, Lewis Wilson - after one year as a pro.
Does anyone recall what the length of Rowe's contract was? Grounds, Daniel, Atangana, Dyer and Seymour almost certainly going and possibly the third goalie?

DawlishBouy

Interesting that Rowe has tended to play in midfield in his recent loans. A position he has also played for City in the Pizza Trophy too.
Callum Rowe played left back for all 3 of his games at Chippenham [highlights on youtube]. Jordan Dyer has been playing as a defensive central midfielder for Bath.

andrew p long

Does anyone recall what the length of Rowe's contract was? Grounds, Daniel, Atangana, Dyer and Seymour almost certainly going and possibly the third goalie?
Callum Rowe got a one year deal

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Callum Rowe got a one year deal

I think Rowe may actually be a 1 yr with an option of a year. Whether we take the option of another year though remains to be seen.