• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fringe players at the turn of the year

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think this is pretty much spot on. With Diabate, I would say that in the last 3 games he has been our best centre-half and it is up to the others to show when they are fit they are better than him. There's a lot to like about both Ray and Sweeney but neither of them are faultless or likely to play any higher than league 2 so it wouldn't surprise me to see Diabate keeping one of them out of the team in the same way O'Shea did to Aaron Martin.

The one player not mentioned on this thread is Jack Sparkes and I'm really hoping he can have a big impact now he's fully fit and had some matches under his belt.
Yes, Diabate excluded from "Fringe" in OP for precisely this reason.

Sparkes not really fringe either. An established member of the first team squad who suffered a serious injury and is recuperating

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, Diabate excluded from "Fringe" in OP for precisely this reason.

Sparkes not really fringe either. An established member of the first team squad who suffered a serious injury and is recuperating
Rather like the word 'marquee,' the definition of what makes a 'fringe' player is not totally clear!

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
How about the forgotton man Atangana? Also James Dodd? He's on loan I know but is his deal up at the end of the season? Should he get another year or realistically with Kite, Taylor, Archie and Dieng in front of him will he get crowded out?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
How about the forgotton man Atangana? Also James Dodd? He's on loan I know but is his deal up at the end of the season? Should he get another year or realistically with Kite, Taylor, Archie and Dieng in front of him will he get crowded out?
What is James Dodd's best position? Is he capable of being a replacement for MJ in the long-term?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
What is James Dodd's best position? Is he capable of being a replacement for MJ in the long-term?
I guess we need to judge Dodd in a competitive (not a friendly) game for City to make a judgement. There are a number of potential 'suitors' for MJ's position already with Jevani the obvious candidate and others have suggested Taylor? It would be good to hear from those who know Dodd's game on here or anyone who knows how well he has done out on loan? As for Atangana I think we can add him to the Seymour and Dyer list of almost certain players to leave category

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
As for Atangana I think we can add him to the Seymour and Dyer list of almost certain players to leave category
Why do you say that? He was actually playing well before his injury, and although Tim Dieng has clearly got ahead of him in the pecking order since November, he'll presumably have a spot on the bench once fit again. If he can get back up to speed there is no reason why he shouldn't be retained, though maybe his age (32) will be a factor.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why do you say that? He was actually playing well before his injury, and although Tim Dieng has clearly got ahead of him in the pecking order since November, he'll presumably have a spot on the bench once fit again. If he can get back up to speed there is no reason why he shouldn't be retained, though maybe his age (32) will be a factor.
We have four other central midfield players on long-term contracts plus promising youngsters who will hopefully be challenging for the first team before too long. Therefore, it's hard to see where Nigel fits in.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
JW, just a process of looking at the bigger picture as SEA as said. Notably room has to be provided for Kite if he is to get game time with so many central midfielders in our squad who will all be here next season (Kite, Dieng, Taylor, Archie and even Jay and Brown. If you factor in Dodd, Veale and Lilley coming through Nigel's days look limited

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have four other central midfield players on long-term contracts plus promising youngsters who will hopefully be challenging for the first team before too long. Therefore, it's hard to see where Nigel fits in.
JW, just a process of looking at the bigger picture as SEA as said. Notably room has to be provided for Kite if he is to get game time with so many central midfielders in our squad who will all be here next season (Kite, Dieng, Taylor, Archie and even Jay and Brown. If you factor in Dodd, Veale and Lilley coming through Nigel's days look limited
Of those, only Dieng and now perhaps Kite are direct competitors for a place with Atangana. The others are attacking rather than defensive or box-to-box midfielders.

You may be right about him not being retained, but IMO balance is important in in any team / squad and a midfield of (say) Collins, Taylor, Jay and Brown would be torn to pieces by most L2 teams.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Making room for Kite would be the reason Big Nige would be released not because of Tim Dieng. They are different types of player. The only things that Nige and Tim have in common is their height and they have French origins.