• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Four Four Two 100 greatest football grounds In Britain

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Griffin Park is not actually number 1. It is only number 1 of the ‘Ghost grounds’ at the end of the book (picked from those stadiums that have closed since 2014).

The wonderfully named Dripping Pan, home of Lewes, is number 1 proper. It’s a quite stunning ground and many stadium aficionados would have it high on their list.

Our SJP is indeed in at number 34 but there are only 12 other PL/EFL clubs above us in Bayly’s list. Fulham is the top PL/EFL ground at number 2. The other SJP is number 4.

It’s a brilliant book. And spoiler alert…..neither Yeovil or Colchester are anywhere to be seen.
Do you think the replacement of the Old Grandstand has boosted SJ Park, or has it lost some of it's ramshackle charm?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do you think the replacement of the Old Grandstand has boosted SJ Park, or has it lost some of it's ramshackle charm?
I would suggest it’s boosted it. The OG was about 50 years past its sell by date and a dangerous, poisonous, crumbling eyesore. In fact, of the four new(ish) stands that we now have, I’d have said the OG, if for safety reasons more than anything else, should have been the first stand to have been replaced.

Oldsmobile-88

The wonderfully named Dripping Pan, home of Lewes, is number 1 proper. It’s a quite stunning ground and many stadium aficionados would have it high on their list.
Loved the side opposite the grandstand.Quite steep.Spectators had a great view looking down from the top of it.

Red Devon

All subjective I know but The New Lawn 55 seriously.

Oldham - Boundary Park
Portsmouth - Fratton Park
Charlton - The Valley

Are a few of my favourites.

Tim Long

'A large open terrace'.............. it's the biggest one in the country not just 'a large open terrace'.
Doesn't 'open' mean 'no roof'? Their research is outstanding.

Tim Long

Rank ! As any article that claims something that is "Ranked!" Only there to garner disagreeing replies, but checking their facts might help.

I would suggest it’s boosted it. The OG was about 50 years past its sell by date and a dangerous, poisonous, crumbling eyesore. In fact, of the four new(ish) stands that we now have, I’d have said the OG, if for safety reasons more than anything else, should have been the first stand to have been replaced.
Agree wholeheartedly, Ant, but if this was replaced first, where were our bloater paste sandwich eating Board of Directors going to sit to enjoy 'their' football?

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Is Plain Bore featured anywhere in these grounds?