• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Four Four Two 100 greatest football grounds In Britain

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
No matter who does it there will always be disagreements. Personally I couldn't care less if we were 8 or 80. There are grounds I'd visit again and there are some grounds I'd never visit again, Huish Park being one of them.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Are you volunteering?
That would be a labour of love..But no 😁

i8cornwall

All subjective, personally I'd have put Aldershot in my top 10.

If anyone is interested in those sort of things Mike Bayly book "British Football Greatest Grounds" is a great book by far one of the best football related books I've brought.

Grecian2K

'A large open terrace'.............. it's the biggest one in the country not just 'a large open terrace'.
And it's not an "open" terrace... it's had a roof for years now! Did they visit in the last century? 😠

Oldsmobile-88

91..The Saffrons,Eastbourne Town.Went there by mistake when I was supposed to be at Eastbourne Borough,which is miles away on the edge of the town.

Parked up on the seafront after making the schoolboy error of assuming the floodlights I could see were the ground I was visiting 😁

andrew p long

If anyone is interested in those sort of things Mike Bayly book "British Football Greatest Grounds" is a great book by far one of the best football related books I've brought.
me too (well I got it as a present this time last year)

Bayly's book is great for football (and photography and travel!) enthusiasts. SJP in at 34, with a proper write up

'eclectic flavour : a professional set up with non league overtones; part Edwardian , part 21st century.'

but Bayly's book's values can be told by Griffin Park being number 1, and other high ranked grounds include Kidderminster,Arundel, Lewes and Arbroath.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Subjective opinion on ranking is all very well but this 4-4-2 list is just plain inaccurate; no-one who has visited the Park would ever describe the houses around the ground as elegant.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure about the top 100 listing, I'd have said we we're around midway, but Colchester must be near or at the bottom.:mad:

i8cornwall

Subjective opinion on ranking is all very well but this 4-4-2 list is just plain inaccurate; no-one who has visited the Park would ever describe the houses around the ground as elegant.
If your from say Plymouth I'd imagine you probably would describe the houses as Elegant my point was that others would see that list and think why isn't XYZ on there, personally I hate grounds like Wembley, London Stadium or the new White heart lane.

I do agree that the standard of articles and the knowledge of those writing in 4-4-2 hasn't been great years now, I use to subscribe

Remember when they use to do a regular feature interviewing fans from rival clubs or supporters from a certain background but those types of articles seem to have gone by the way side now, the stuff you find in WSC or the content on COPA90 is much better.

Martin Weiler

me too (well I got it as a present this time last year)

Bayly's book is great for football (and photography and travel!) enthusiasts. SJP in at 34, with a proper write up

'eclectic flavour : a professional set up with non league overtones; part Edwardian , part 21st century.'

but Bayly's book's values can be told by Griffin Park being number 1, and other high ranked grounds include Kidderminster,Arundel, Lewes and Arbroath.
Griffin Park is not actually number 1. It is only number 1 of the ‘Ghost grounds’ at the end of the book (picked from those stadiums that have closed since 2014).

The wonderfully named Dripping Pan, home of Lewes, is number 1 proper. It’s a quite stunning ground and many stadium aficionados would have it high on their list.

Our SJP is indeed in at number 34 but there are only 12 other PL/EFL clubs above us in Bayly’s list. Fulham is the top PL/EFL ground at number 2. The other SJP is number 4.

It’s a brilliant book. And spoiler alert…..neither Yeovil or Colchester are anywhere to be seen.