Former players.

haka

He was our keeper at Anfield in the League Cup, 1979. Did very well, backed by thousands of City fans chanting his name, a rare experience at away grounds back then!

(I have a vague memory of the Kop applauding him too, though that may be rosy mist, as most of the Kop took the night off ...).

budegrecian

He was our keeper at Anfield in the League Cup, 1979. Did very well, backed by thousands of City fans chanting his name, a rare experience at away grounds back then!

(I have a vague memory of the Kop applauding him too, though that may be rosy mist, as most of the Kop took the night off ...).
Your memory is correct ; they gave him a fantastic reception when he came out for the second half.

haka

Thanks for the confirmation, sometimes the old memory chip malfunctions, good to know I didn't imagine it.

But I don't think I'll ever forget the game's aftermath ... going back to Lime St station, fastest I've ever run, with those feral kids after us!

budegrecian

Thanks for the confirmation, sometimes the old memory chip malfunctions, good to know I didn't imagine it.

But I don't think I'll ever forget the game's aftermath ... going back to Lime St station, fastest I've ever run, with those feral kids after us!
We managed to get a taxi on the way back to the station. I remember a City youngster legging it towards us, being chased by a pack of baying Liverpool youngsters as we were getting in. He literally dived head first into the back seats, on top us, at which time the driver pulled the door shut & promptly drove off as fast as he could...

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
We managed to get a taxi on the way back to the station. I remember a City youngster legging it towards us, being chased by a pack of baying Liverpool youngsters as we were getting in. He literally dived head first into the back seats, on top us, at which time the driver pulled the door shut & promptly drove off as fast as he could...
A wild aftermath after the game,not helped by most of the street lights being broken around Anfield.
Around 8 of us were together & got jumped by a load of scallys.One of the lads broke his knuckle in the ensuing scrap.
A worry at the time was a few scousers around football grounds had the habit of carrying & using Stanley/Craft knives.
We managed to get a bus back to Lime St thankfully.The first time I had been on a bus where the driver was protected by a metal mesh.
Just about managed to get the 2nd Football Special train back.Got back at 4am.
We were all in work at 8am,even the lad with a broken knuckle.

Grecian 1901

Fred Youlden Died this day in 1907

An amateur with Exeter City who scored twice on his debut in a 2-1 home win against Millbrook Rangers in a Plymouth and District League fixture in November 1906. Fred sadly died on the 18th April 1907 aged 18. This tribute appeared in The Western Times on Wednesday 24th April:

“The Exeter City players engaged in the East Devon v Plymouth Argyle match today will wear black crape on their arms as a mark of respect to Frederick Youlden, of the Exeter City Football Club, who died on Thursday last of consumption (TB). The City players will also wear crapes at their final League match of the season, next Saturday at Tavistock.
Frederick Youlden who was 18 years of age, will be buried at the Higher Cemetery tomorrow. He was a regular for the City Reserves, and a dashing forward of much promise. He had several times, in fact, played for the Firsts this season, notably against Torpoint. His untimely end has caused the deepest regret throughout Exeter Association Football circles.”

No gravestone has been identified in the Higher Cemetery but a plaque has been added to the wall of remembrance by the memorial garden at St James Park.