Former players.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
After a bit of debate on the Swindon MDT about former players,I thought I would kick this one off.

A player who was a good servant to the club & had a pretty good strike record was Ray Pratt the Grecians very own super sub.
Signed from Merthyr Tydfil for about £30k by Brian Godfrey around March 1980,Staying until 1986.
He scored around 60 goals for the Grecians(I have not got my bible with me for the exact stats) & had a very good strike rate(even better if mins on the pitch were used)
He managed Cullompton Rangers for many years after leaving Exeter City.

Kells nick named him Raj after his dusky good looks 😁

Rosencrantz

I remember as a kid being gutted that Brendon O'Connell was let go as he was one of my favourite players of that time. It might be my memory but I always had the feeling he was a bit underrated by some fans and managers. He was one of the few players of that era that then went on to have a decent career at a higher level having been given the elbow (rather than undersold like Phil King and Martin Ling).

Oldsmobile-88

I remember as a kid being gutted that Brendon O'Connell was let go as he was one of my favourite players of that time. It might be my memory but I always had the feeling he was a bit underrated by some fans and managers. He was one of the few players of that era that then went on to have a decent career at a higher level having been given the elbow (rather than undersold like Phil King and Martin Ling).
A decent player for the Grecians.
He surprisingly went in the clear out after the 87-88 season.One of the few players who had a reasonably good season as the Grecians finished 3rd from bottom of the Fourth Division.
Can’t recall the circumstances,but the deck was being cleared with Terry Coopers arrival.

Rosencrantz

Just checked Ray Pratts record.
61 goals in 172 league games.
46 of those appearances were from the bench !
Always seemed to have a smile on his face as well. I remember him scoring that hat trick against Torquay on Boxing Day although I have to say I remember little detail other than that and the 4-3 scoreline.

Quick interview on the Grecian Archive site.

http://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/2088

Oldsmobile-88

He was one of the few players of that era that then went on to have a decent career at a higher level having been given the elbow (rather than undersold like Phil King and Martin Ling).
Both of those players mentioned did go on the cheap,but it was due to the dishonesty on both occasions by the clubs involved(Torquay & Swindon)
The latter was a tribunal where the Grecians got screwed over(sounds familiar !)

Rosencrantz

A decent player for the Grecians.
He surprisingly went in the clear out after the 87-88 season.One of the few players who had a reasonably good season as the Grecians finished 3rd from bottom of the Fourth Division.
Can’t recall the circumstances,but the deck was being cleared with Terry Coopers arrival.
Played right back a number of times rather than his normal forward role, although not sure if it was that season or the season before. Remember Paul Batty also filling in at right back also. Brendan had more success in midfield after he left for Burnley and Barnsley.

Oldsmobile-88

Always seemed to have a smile on his face as well. I remember him scoring that hat trick against Torquay on Boxing Day although I have to say I remember little detail other than that and the 4-3 scoreline.

Quick interview on the Grecian Archive site.

http://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/items/show/2088
From memory we went 3-0 up.Torquay levelled it at 3-3 & Ray Pratt completed his hatrick with the winner..

Rosencrantz

Both of those players mentioned did go on the cheap,but it was due to the dishonesty on both occasions by the clubs involved(Torquay & Swindon)
The latter was a tribunal where the Grecians got screwed over(sounds familiar !)
Although City and Torquay stitched up Argyle over the Rowbotham and Whiston swap deal. They were both worth more than £25k 😂.

Oldsmobile-88

Played right back a number of times rather than his normal forward role, although not sure if it was that season or the season before. Remember Paul Batty also filling in at right back also. Brendan had more success in midfield after he left for Burnley and Barnsley.
Season before after Jan/Feb he played at Right Back.