• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Harley was such a gifted player. The ball stuck to his feet, could turn so neatly inside and out, always found space, composed, vision, one of those real natural talents who didn't need coaching.
I suspect I'm in a minority here but my take:

Capable of brilliance, some amazing goals and assists as others have said, but to me he was also much of the time with us frustrating as hell to watch, episodes of magic interspersed with long lackadaisical spells when he appeared to switch off.

Just such a shame that he didn't develop the rest of his game and contribute more to team performances. But lots of players are like that.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I suspect I'm in a minority here but my take:

Capable of brilliance, some amazing goals and assists as others have said, but to me he was also much of the time with us frustrating as hell to watch, episodes of magic interspersed with long lackadaisical spells when he appeared to switch off.

Just such a shame that he didn't develop the rest of his game and contribute more to team performances. But lots of players are like that.
I think in his first spell at the club he was absolutely outstanding and a key part of our double promotion winning side. It was in the second spell when he became frustratingly inconsistent.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Harley was always the same, defensively without the ball you were always stunned when he put a decent challenge and if he won a header...............
But put him in the opponents half with the ball at his feet he could put passes in places you just simply shouldn't expect from a League 2/1 player and he wasn't too shabby at finding the back of the net either. You'll be hard pressed to name a City player better than him in that sort of role. The only one who would spring to mind, although I never saw him play, because he was just as mercurial is Lammie Robertson. Those older than me can tell me whether I'm right or wrong in that respect.

andrew p long

Harley was always the same, defensively without the ball you were always stunned when he put a decent challenge and if he won a header...............
But put him in the opponents half with the ball at his feet he could put passes in places you just simply shouldn't expect from a League 2/1 player and he wasn't too shabby at finding the back of the net either. You'll be hard pressed to name a City player better than him in that sort of role. The only one who would spring to mind, although I never saw him play, because he was just as mercurial is Lammie Robertson. Those older than me can tell me whether I'm right or wrong in that respect.
You're right.

TOP_CITY_FAN

Didn't Tisdale say after the Leeds (H) game, that the biggest shock of the day was that Harley not only attempted to head the ball, but won the header and scored?

dontpassback

The one he scored away at Argyle in November 2015 was just amazing, I still look it up on youtube sometimes !
Yes I forgot about that one,but what a goal,he loitered around,but when the ball broke to him,glided past the argyle defence and put the ball out of super Luke’s reach with ease,great goal

STURTZ

Robertson was like Harley with attitude.🙄

Rosencrantz

Yes I forgot about that one,but what a goal,he loitered around,but when the ball broke to him,glided past the argyle defence and put the ball out of super Luke’s reach with ease,great goal
I can't remember if the majority of our travelling supporters were on their 4th or 5th shout of "SHOOT" when Ryan slotted it into the corner :).

Just to be pedantic it was actually Christian Walton in goal that day for the GAWS.

grecIAN Harris

Watch how he sends The Devon port End one way and then the other and back again.

STURTZ

Harley was at his peak when he left us for Swansea. He could beat players without actually touching the ball, he wave his leg over and send the oppo the wrong way and glide past him. O.k. but not as good second time around but then again there was that Argyle goal but my favourite had to be the goal that saved our league 1 status against Huddersfield. What celebrations!