• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder if local 'troubleshooter', Ian Holloway may be brought in to help young Jimmy?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if local 'troubleshooter', Ian Holloway may be brought in to help young Jimmy?
He certainly shot Grimsby straight into trouble.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I read an interesting story, that Jimmy was determined to establish his his own identity based on his own abilities, rather than who his father was. So when he applied for trial at ECFC, he did so under an assumed name to avoid any charges of nepotism.

Spoonz Red E

I read an interesting story, that Jimmy was determined to establish his his own identity based on his own abilities, rather than who his father was. So when he applied for trial at ECFC, he did so under an assumed name to avoid any charges of nepotism.
Spot the Ball competition.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are you sure that anecdote relates to his time at Exeter? As I recall he'd have been about 15 or 16 and his dad was the manager... hard to envisage how as a teenager he'd have managed to secure a trial without anyone knowing who he was.

Rosencrantz

Are you sure that anecdote relates to his time at Exeter? As I recall he'd have been about 15 or 16 and his dad was the manager... hard to envisage how as a teenager he'd have managed to secure a trial without anyone knowing who he was.
Jimmy's own story, he only came here once on trial I think. Maybe his Dad was in on it and wanted to see what Raddy's true opinion was.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-alan-ball-matthews-1233975.amp

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jimmy's own story, he only came here once on trial I think. Maybe his Dad was in on it and wanted to see what Raddy's true opinion was.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-alan-ball-matthews-1233975.amp
I read that piece, but took it with a pinch of salt. Seems a pretty remarkable coincidence that Jimmy was on the books of City and then Saints while his dad was the manager but it had nothing to do with him.

Colesman Ballz

The piece that I read was the Stoke Sentinel piece, that Rosencrantz has since provided the link to. Perhaps I may be more gullible than your goodself Egg, and obviously lack your "seasoned professional eye" in these matters, so happy to defer !
I was personally unaware of his link to us, before reading a reference on these forums. Damned if I can find it now , but in true Exeweb style the story seems to have morphed across more than one thread, and perhaps may be found under a seemingly unconnected thread ! :)

Rosencrantz

I read that piece, but took it with a pinch of salt. Seems a pretty remarkable coincidence that Jimmy was on the books of City and then Saints while his dad was the manager but it had nothing to do with him.
Maybe, but what is true is that Jimmy tells the story 😉

Heysham Mike

Many Oyeleke has signed for Chesterfield