• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Forget Man Utd and Chelsea

col46upwood

Not my words but Peter Jackson.Obviously a very knowledgable and astute former manager and TV pundit.[y]

PETER JACKSON'S BLOG 3
Posted on: 18.08.2010

Forget Manchester United's midfield or Chelsea's forwards the most confident unit in English football right now has to be Torquay United's defence.

Paul Buckle's side have gone nine matches and 871 minutes without conceding a goal, which is an incredible statistic at any level of the game. They ended last season in fine fashion with seven clean sheets but to come back after the break with another two on the bounce is a terrific effort it really is.

I've played in sides and managed others where we've strung two or three consecutive shut-outs together and its astonishing to see how quickly the belief and momentum builds, so I can only imagine that Torquay's back four and goalkeeper feel nothing short of indestructible at the moment.

Knowing footballers as I do, I'm confident that the lads who have been involved in this run are desperate for it to continue. No one will be resting on their laurels. Defenders have a lot of pride and they will staunchly protect their feat as best they can.

They'll concede a goal eventually of course but no matter what happens, Torquay's squad now knows they have a defence they can rely on to be solid and that's a fillip to everyone else.

Knowing that one goal could be enough to win you the game is such a wonderful feeling to have as a player. It breeds confidence and encourages more attacking flair. If, on the flip side you're part of a team that is good enough to score three goals but often concedes four it can be soul destroying and the effect it often has is to make the rest of the team play more cautiously. Torquay United's clean sheet feat will hold them in fine stead this season, long after they let in that first goal.

Congratulations Torquay!!!

When is the open top bus booked for?

From all at Exeter, we really hope you enjoy your promotion party.

col46upwood

Whos says anything about promotion?All that article is about is our fantastic and club history 9 game,871 min,14 hrs 51 min since we last let a LEAGUE goal in.[y]

banging_them_in

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't worry Col. You raise very valid points.

Just realise that these east-devoners, have a very short, almost nat-like, attention span.

It is made all the more difficult because of their low IQ, reading ages of 7 year olds and poor cognitive skills.

col46upwood

Just thought I'd share our history making run and maybe they might take heed and try and go at least 1 game with a clean sheet to thier name.

Torquay Devons only history making team.[y]

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whos says anything about promotion?All that article is about is our fantastic and club history 9 game,871 min,14 hrs 51 min since we last let a LEAGUE goal in.[y]
Best put some more seats in then.

<<<titter>>>

Grecian_Harryj

I think this is becoming a fetish.

banging_them_in

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is becoming a fetish.

The only healthy fetish ever displayed on banterbase.

9 game,871 min,14 hrs 51 !

That is just fetishly fantastical......FACT !

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just realise that these east-devoners, have a very short, almost nat-like, attention span.
I believe you mean 'east Devonians'. Also there should be no comma between 'devoners' and 'have'. Finally it is a 'gnat', unless of course you are refering to someone by the name of Nat?
Here to help you with your low IQ

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
So the Bucks out campaign is still on hold?