• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Forest Green Rovers vs Exeter City match day thread

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeah, Rakeem did OK but Archie was the metronome that kept us all ticking over at the right tempo as well as setting up the crucial third goal and nearly scoring himself after a great run forward in the second half. Sweenz had another good game, passed the ball very well, was solid when he needed to be and didn't get carded. Bloody love Sweenz, me.

Bridgy 81

Archie was the metronome that kept us all ticking over at the right tempo as well as setting up the crucial third goal and nearly scoring himself after a great run forward in the second half.
It seems to me that the answer to our future success is obvious.
Get more players in the team from Bridgwater.

andrew p long

City's 4 unused subs today - a keeper and 3 U18s.

Antony Moxey

All that glitters is not gold or Jevani Brown. He scored two twelve yard tap in (with aplomb it has to be said) but all that he and the others up front did what built on the platform that Harper and Collins built for them. Given the performance I saw last week from Harper where you were left wondering quite what he is about, today you saw all what he was about. As I said, he quietly and effectively got about his business. He was comfortable on the ball, always showed for an option and got about his defensive duties in an unflustered manner.
Like I said: you’re mental.

Reactions: Ash

Antony Moxey

As one of those who maybe didn't quite coming into doubting whether he could play at League 1 but certainly had my doubts about the way he would develop with the way he was playing and being asked to play, I'd ask you to look at the difference in the way he is being asked to play this season and note the very big difference compared to last season. Last season he was being asked to play as the holding midfielder and this, imo, impeded and restricted his game. This season he playing in his proper role, a real box to box midfielder, and subsequently we are now seeing the real Archie Collins. He is dominating games in the way I was also was moaning that he wasn't last season and he is revelling in it.
Yet another example of genuine mental. Seriously Harris, do you ever proof read what you write? WTAF are you on about?

sign of the chimes

At the risk of a truism, you looked good today - and I say that despite the fact that FGR looked like a bunch of unprepared competition winners.

I thought the central midfiled looked really solid and laid foundations that allowed your attacking unit to really dominate - I loved the set up and Brown's finish for his open play goal; and I thought Stansfield made a right nuisance of himself, if he's at a point in his development where he can sustain that over 40 odd games then you'll be good.

I get the sense the key for you will be keeping enough players fit to keep things going later on in the season given what appears to be a fairly thin squad. Although I think there is still a bit of a chasm between the top and bottom half of the division, I think it's a bit less than last season in the main - and I reckon if you can keep 15/16 players fit you could give plenty of sides who will expect to be at the top of the division a bloody nose.

grecIAN Harris

Yet another example of genuine mental. Seriously Harris, do you ever proof read what you write? WTAF are you on about?
To put it in dumber and dumber mode for you:
Last season, playing defensive midfielder and not playing to his full potential because of it.
This season, playing box to box midfielder and playing to his full potential.
Is that black and white enough for you to understand?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
All that glitters is not gold or Jevani Brown. He scored two twelve yard tap in (with aplomb it has to be said) but all that he and the others up front did what built on the platform that Harper and Collins built for them. Given the performance I saw last week from Harper where you were left wondering quite what he is about, today you saw all what he was about. As I said, he quietly and effectively got about his business. He was comfortable on the ball, always showed for an option and got about his defensive duties in an unflustered manner.
Or to put it another way, would everybody still be saying Jevani was man of the match if Sam had taken the penalties and got the hat-trick instead.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
To put it in dumber and dumber mode for you:
Last season, playing defensive midfielder and not playing to his full potential because of it.
This season, playing box to box midfielder and playing to his full potential.
Is that black and white enough for you to understand?
Most of this season Archie has had the security of playing as part of a three-man field so really pleasing that he was able to play well today with only Rakeem for support.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Or to put it another way, would everybody still be saying Jevani was man of the match if Sam had taken the penalties and got the hat-trick instead.
Jevani had a hand in every goal. Even in your scenario, Sam didn't.

Archie turning and carrying the ball forward is a sight to behold. He always looks strong and in control. Youri Tielemans reminds me a bit of Archie. Not as consistent, mind.