• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Forest Green Rovers vs Exeter City match day thread

dommers

Interesting that Forest Green did what a lot of us wanted City to do and switched from their usual back 3 to a back 4 and struggled.
We'd have still won with a back 4 given how poor Forest Green were.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cough, cough, I wasn’t. Just saying. Read the first post 😉
....plus the 7th, 12th and 15th.

dontpassback

Excellent day,FGR were poor,and city were clinical,a good confidence booster after the burton game,I have a sneaky feeling burchnall may not last the season,with the proper chap from Bath poised in the wings !

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Excellent day,FGR were poor,and city were clinical,a good confidence booster after the burton game,I have a sneaky feeling burchnall may not last the season,with the proper chap from Bath poised in the wings !
Almost like he knew it in the second half. Sat on a chair looking glum while MT was still barking instructions with 2 mins to go.

tonykellowfan

We certainly played them at the right time.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Excellent result and performance.

Grecianpasty

With a weakened defense our best form of defense was attack. Collectively, our front three where excellent. Both with and without the ball. Brown played the number 10 role perfectly. I'm hoping that MT will continue to play those front 3 moving forward, starting with rovers next Saturday. Who after another defeat will be dreading the thought of coming to St James Park next Saturday.

Pobbop

With a weakened defense our best form of defense was attack. Collectively, our front three where excellent. Both with and without the ball. Brown played the number 10 role perfectly. I'm hoping that MT will continue to play those front 3 moving forward, starting with rovers next Saturday. Who after another defeat will be dreading the thought of coming to St James Park next Saturday.
Agree with this totally, when we're under pressure we'll concede, so how about keeping them under pressure, and just score more than them.

grecIAN Harris

Not a player who scored a hat trick and provided the assist for the other? You’re mental.
All that glitters is not gold or Jevani Brown. He scored two twelve yard tap in (with aplomb it has to be said) but all that he and the others up front did what built on the platform that Harper and Collins built for them. Given the performance I saw last week from Harper where you were left wondering quite what he is about, today you saw all what he was about. As I said, he quietly and effectively got about his business. He was comfortable on the ball, always showed for an option and got about his defensive duties in an unflustered manner.

Rosencrantz

There was only one period of danger in that game for us which was when Hartridge cleared off the line and the ball ricocheted back off Key(?) and it looked like they had a tap in that somehow Jamal kept out (haven't seen it back yet so going on a view from halfway). That could have been 1-2 and a different feeling. We were soon to make it 0-3. Tight margins sometimes even in games that are, for the most, straightforward.

For me Archie and Rekeem barely put a foot wrong all afternoon (apart from hitting the housing estate in the first half Harps 😉). First half we were most dangerous without the ball with a high press and pouncing on errors. Harper and Collins gave a firm base behind the attacking players and backed them up in the press and generally then played forward quickly and decently. Second half we had more control with possession and the midfield two ran the show and had the game in the palms of their hands.

The front three were dangerous in and out of possession all the time they were on. The back three solid and the wing backs did their jobs. I would like sometimes Jake and Jack to attack the far post more when the ball is on the opposite side with a crossing opportunity. A lot of crosses ended up there today without either taking a gamble and challenging the back stick.

Last edited: