• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Footballunited.org.uk

The negative comments especially from Pete with his ability to pick any topic and find a way to have a dig at the club is completely out of order.

This campaign is about football as a community trying to bring recognition to a problem and get it in the news and out in the open so victims of this abuse feel they can get help. Anyone with half a brain can see that. Exeter as a trust owned club with community has one of the central plank of its ethos should get behind this. Any fool can see that.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
The negative comments especially from Pete with his ability to pick any topic and find a way to have a dig at the club is completely out of order.
Excuse me, negative comments? I merely pointed out, after much perusal, that the thread subject matter as it stood had nothing to do with Exeter City. Terry apologised to the mods at the outset if he'd picked the wrong forum for his thread, so he obviously thought it might be in the wrong place, although that said, I dont know which would be the correct one, since the Social Club is hardly fitting. I'm totally in support of the thread cause, but you can bet your life if I'd put it where it is, it would have been slapped somewhere else hours ago.

Terryhall

Let me say straight away that I don’t condone violence of any type, be it domestic or any other. However I feel this charity has no direct relevance to Exeter City.

There are several issues here. Firstly I think it would set a dangerous precedent if the Trust or Club contributed on a direct basis rather than giving (as in the case with all other charities) an opportunity to apply for a half time collection. If they did make a direct contribution, the floodgates might open, and where would it end? Why would we single out this charity? I particularly support RNIB, so can it be included at the same time?

Secondly the Trust has been well known in the past for spending far too much time in discussing situations such as this to the detriment of the really big issues for the Club. I well remember the old Part 1 agenda being filled with this sort of discussion. When, as often happened, the meeting was guillotined, the time devoted to items like governance in the Club Board report or ground redevelopment was confined to a couple of minutes in Part 2.

Let the Trust get on with its main objective.
I am not asking the Trust to make a donation - I am asking them, as the majority shareholder and 50% representative on the Club Board, to recommend that the club formally register their support for this initiative. Also noting that one of the elements stated in the Trust Vision is "Actively engaging with our members, supporters and the wider community" - I would contend that there will be women within all of these categories.

I agree that this has no relevance whatsover to Exeter City, and very little reference to football. For that reason I think this is the wrong forum for the topic, serious as it is.
On the contrary Pete, I would say that it has every relevance to Exeter City - we have a Ladies team, we are very public and vocal about our off-pitch community work and our wish to "do things the right way" both on and off the football field. As we are all fond of saying, a football club is more than just the players and the results, it is a focal point for an entire community and in my opinion it is important that a community club sends the right messages to that community. Public support for a campaign such as this is an excellent way for the club to demonstrate this in practice.

Red Bill

Completely agree with Terry, Citydrinker and GiP. To suggest this has nothing to do with Exeter City is nonsense. We are a fan owned club pledged to engage with the community. 1 in 4 women and 1 in 10 men will suffer domestic abuse in their lifetime. Meaning many of our Trust members, supporters and their friends and families will be victims. Women's Aid, who are backing the campaign are a national charity but local DV services are usually provided by a variety of charities who are funded through local authority contracts, however my wife tells me that DV services in Exeter, are provided by Women's Aid themselves, so there is an greater local community link for us.
As football supporters we are often portrayed as violent meatheads, so this is a good opportunity to dispel this myth and join the other clubs supporting this campaign and standing up against this vile social disease which destroys the lives of so many.
Given the stats I quoted earlier, we can all be pretty certain that at one time or another we have stood next to a victim or perpetrator of DV while watching a match. So of course it has something to do with Exeter City, and any other club, particularly those who position themselves as part of the local community.

Terryhall

Well said Red Bill, thanks for the objective stats to back up the subjective case.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Completely agree with Terry, Citydrinker and GiP. To suggest this has nothing to do with Exeter City is nonsense. We are a fan owned club pledged to engage with the community. 1 in 4 women and 1 in 10 men will suffer domestic abuse in their lifetime. Meaning many of our Trust members, supporters and their friends and families will be victims. Women's Aid, who are backing the campaign are a national charity but local DV services are usually provided by a variety of charities who are funded through local authority contracts, however my wife tells me that DV services in Exeter, are provided by Women's Aid themselves, so there is an greater local community link for us.
As football supporters we are often portrayed as violent meatheads, so this is a good opportunity to dispel this myth and join the other clubs supporting this campaign and standing up against this vile social disease which destroys the lives of so many.
Given the stats I quoted earlier, we can all be pretty certain that at one time or another we have stood next to a victim or perpetrator of DV while watching a match. So of course it has something to do with Exeter City, and any other club, particularly those who position themselves as part of the local community.
No, actually it doesn't have anything to do with Exeter City. Whilst everything you write between your second sentence and final sentence are completely valid points, none of them are specifically to do with the club.

However, it's a football backed initiative to raise awareness and change attitudes so there's no reason whatsoever why our club cannot endorse and promote this initiative, the same as we do for other football backed campaigns. It's not a football or Exeter City 'problem', but football and Exeter City are high profile nationally and locally so we should add our weight to the campaign.

Red Bill

No, actually it doesn't have anything to do with Exeter City. Whilst everything you write between your second sentence and final sentence are completely valid points, none of them are specifically to do with the club.

However, it's a football backed initiative to raise awareness and change attitudes so there's no reason whatsoever why our club cannot endorse and promote this initiative, the same as we do for other football backed campaigns. It's not a football or Exeter City 'problem', but football and Exeter City are high profile nationally and locally so we should add our weight to the campaign.
I don't know if it's been mentioned before (although may have been) but there is a huge surge in incidents of DV when there are matches on, England games in particular, so whilst not specifically a football issue, football does have an effect. Therefore I feel it's our duty as fans to stand against it and as we are a fans owned club there is perhaps a greater onus on Exeter City and other fan owned clubs to lead the way than on other clubs. Personally I think this has something to do with everyone and as we are part of everyone, no man is an island etc, I stand by my comment;"of course it has something to do with Exeter City".

Last edited: