• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Footballunited.org.uk

Terryhall

Hi all,

Firstly to the mod team, I did a search before posting this & also not entirely sure whether WoWS is the right place - apologies if there is already a thread on this topic or if this is in the wrong forum.

I became aware today of a campaign called Football United (http://footballunited.org.uk/), promoted by Women's Aid, which is aiming to stamp out domestic violence in particular, and secondly to generally improve on the misogynistic and sexist attitude that can pervade some elements of our society.

The campaign has produced a video to highlight this which I find to be quite uncomfortable to watch but have posted here below.

[video=youtube;b2MFsmpbAlA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2MFsmpbAlA[/video]

I have personally signed up as a supporter of this campaign today - I looked to see whether ECFC has similarly signed up and it doesn't yet appear that we have. I am therefore intending to submit a motion to the next Trust meeting (albeit that being in Zurich I won't be able to attend in person) in order to move that the Trust Board recommend to the Club Board that ECFC formally sign up as a supporter of this campaign.

If anyone has any pointers or suggestions on how to go about this (particularly Red Bill given his recently submitted motion, or any of the current or former Trustees) then any and all advice is welcome. Equally if any other Trust members would like to register their support for the motion when I submit it, please let me know by PM - and of course anyone generally who wants to support the campaign please sign up via the link above.

Thanks all!

Terry

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Given the cause, i don't think you need to propose a formal motion as i can't see any reason why the Trust and club wouldn't want to sign up. Perhaps start by contacting the Trust ([email protected]) with some further info as it may be that they and/or the club simply aren't aware of it.

Terryhall

Thanks LOG, good point and will send them a mail now.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let me say straight away that I don’t condone violence of any type, be it domestic or any other. However I feel this charity has no direct relevance to Exeter City.

There are several issues here. Firstly I think it would set a dangerous precedent if the Trust or Club contributed on a direct basis rather than giving (as in the case with all other charities) an opportunity to apply for a half time collection. If they did make a direct contribution, the floodgates might open, and where would it end? Why would we single out this charity? I particularly support RNIB, so can it be included at the same time?

Secondly the Trust has been well known in the past for spending far too much time in discussing situations such as this to the detriment of the really big issues for the Club. I well remember the old Part 1 agenda being filled with this sort of discussion. When, as often happened, the meeting was guillotined, the time devoted to items like governance in the Club Board report or ground redevelopment was confined to a couple of minutes in Part 2.

Let the Trust get on with its main objective.

Red Bill

Hi Terry, I discovered whilst taking my proposal forward that any trust member can submit an agenda item. I think you have to give 7 days notice. From my experience on Monday I can definitely recommend it as you (or a representative) will definitely be welcomed and taken seriously.
As my wife is a domestic violence advisor I am perhaps more aware than most of the living hell some women endure often in silence for many years without anyone knowing or anyone to turn to. You have my full support with this, although I'm afraid I can't offer to represent you at a TB meeting, but if there's anything else I can do let me know.
Hi all,

Firstly to the mod team, I did a search before posting this & also not entirely sure whether WoWS is the right place - apologies if there is already a thread on this topic or if this is in the wrong forum.

I became aware today of a campaign called Football United (http://footballunited.org.uk/), promoted by Women's Aid, which is aiming to stamp out domestic violence in particular, and secondly to generally improve on the misogynistic and sexist attitude that can pervade some elements of our society.

The campaign has produced a video to highlight this which I find to be quite uncomfortable to watch but have posted here below.

[video=youtube;b2MFsmpbAlA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2MFsmpbAlA[/video]

I have personally signed up as a supporter of this campaign today - I looked to see whether ECFC has similarly signed up and it doesn't yet appear that we have. I am therefore intending to submit a motion to the next Trust meeting (albeit that being in Zurich I won't be able to attend in person) in order to move that the Trust Board recommend to the Club Board that ECFC formally sign up as a supporter of this campaign.

If anyone has any pointers or suggestions on how to go about this (particularly Red Bill given his recently submitted motion, or any of the current or former Trustees) then any and all advice is welcome. Equally if any other Trust members would like to register their support for the motion when I submit it, please let me know by PM - and of course anyone generally who wants to support the campaign please sign up via the link above.

Thanks all!

Terry

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
RW, I don't think anyone is suggesting a direct contribution, more signing up to the ethos of the campaign. To my mind, it is a club thing not a trust thing, not that the trust couldn't support it too, but that the weight comes from the club. Surely every football club would have already been contacted?! Click on who's in and you'll see a bit about Bristol City. I'm sure clubs get asked to support all manner of campaigns but the statistical link between rises in domestic violence linked to matchdays is disturbing for all football fans to say the least.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Let me say straight away that I don’t condone violence of any type, be it domestic or any other. However I feel this charity has no direct relevance to Exeter City. Let the Trust get on with its main objective.
I agree that this has no relevance whatsover to Exeter City, and very little reference to football. For that reason I think this is the wrong forum for the topic, serious as it is.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
See fever's post above. Don't see an issue with the club supporting such a campaign. However, yes, in most cases, domestic violence is against women, but there are plenty of cases where it is happening to the man, and I think this should be highlighted as well.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I agree that this has no relevance whatsoever to Exeter City, and very little reference to football. For that reason I think this is the wrong forum for the topic, serious as it is.
On the contrary, given the following quote from their website, this is as good a place as any for the thread and I can't see why the Club wouldn't help publicising the campaign with it's support.

Football United Against Domestic Violence is a campaign by Women’s Aid, working with national footballing bodies, sports media, football clubs, the police, players and fans to send a clear message that domestic violence is always unacceptable. Together we aim to call out sexist behaviour that can underpin violence towards women and girls.

We are asking the footballing community to join with us to make a positive difference now to raise awareness and reduce the amount of domestic violence in the future.

Last edited:

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Totally gobsmacked by the disdainful comments of a couple of Exewebbers above.

Sorry, but this campaign is not asking our club to do anything more than register its support.

PeteUSA & rightwing, get past looking at it all with a defensive attitude.

This is a decent cause.