• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Footballing Cities

Stuart Storer's Tache

If like me you have moved around over the years and sampled living in various different cities that have football teams I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Here is my list;

Bristol - Lived here for nearly a year now. Live in North Bristol and although strictly speaking its Gashead territory there's plenty of City fans around here. Decent footballing city considering the area being a Rugby stronghold.

Derby - Lived there for 18 months and moved there halfway during their ill fated Prem season. Really impressive support that have subsequently stayed loyal in a city with footballing history. I worked in Nottingham for a lot of this time and felt Derby was more of a footballing city.

Oxford - Lived there for two and half years. A lot of similarities with Exeter City in the fact that a lot of the support came from outside the city and they ousted unpopular owners!

Glasgow - born there and lived there for 11 years, don't really need to add much more!

grecian till i die

If like me you have moved around over the years and sampled living in various different cities that have football teams I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Here is my list;

Bristol - Lived here for nearly a year now. Live in North Bristol and although strictly speaking its Gashead territory there's plenty of City fans around here. Decent footballing city considering the area being a Rugby stronghold.

Derby - Lived there for 18 months and moved there halfway during their ill fated Prem season. Really impressive support that have subsequently stayed loyal in a city with footballing history. I worked in Nottingham for a lot of this time and felt Derby was more of a footballing city.

Oxford - Lived there for two and half years. A lot of similarities with Exeter City in the fact that a lot of the support came from outside the city and they ousted unpopular owners!

Glasgow - born there and lived there for 11 years, don't really need to add much more!

nice biography and why so many places u sh*t at your job or something

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
errrmm

Surely Derby's a COUNTY?

and Nottingham is a FOREST??

Discuss

PS: And we've got a cathedral (and international airport) so we win hands down!!

angelic upstart

Good OP.

Pompey, football town

Leiden, plastic football town

Plymouth, plastic central

Last edited:

Stuart Storer's Tache

errrmm

Surely Derby's a COUNTY?

and Nottingham is a FOREST??

Discuss

PS: And we've got a cathedral (and international airport) so we win hands down!!
Either you're whoosh hunting of you've completely missed the point.

flat_cap

International airport with the world's best staff! ;)

Stuart Storer's Tache

nice biography and why so many places u sh*t at your job or something
Tell me about some of the different places you've have lived.

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
I also lived in Bristol, was there for almost 7 years. Very strong footballing City, loved the banter between the Gasheads and Sh*theads. Went and watched Bristol City on the odd occasion and also went to the Bristol derby in the JPT area final 3 years ago at Ashtopn Gate and that was an atmosphere to sample. My god they really do detest each other!

Swanaldo

Born in Edinburgh. A city which does love its football.

Raised in the Scottish Borders. Sport in order of dominance: Rugby, Equestrianism, Fly Fishing, Dominoes, Golf, Alcoholism. No evidence of Football whatsoever during my formative years. Had it not been for my uncle David (Rangers :-O ) and cousins Paul (Hearts [y]) and David (Hibs :$) I wouldn't have even known the sport existed.

Lived in and around Exeter for the last 25ish years. Call it an Epiphany.

A377 Lad

You see I wouldn't consider Bristol to be a footballing City at all, not sure how you can think Bristol is more of a footballing City than Nottingham but I guess it's a game of opinions. The majority of Exeweb seems to be creaming themslves at averaging over 6k in our most succesfull period ever, yet there are towns smaller than us dragging in double our attendances. Once you get away from the bubble of exeweb you realise that 95% of football loving kids in schoo's in and around Exeter are Prem football fans and although the situation is improving a lot of people in Devon don't want to know unless the top 4 is involved.

Although it's a generilisation cities in the North of England (with some exceptions such as Millwall, West Ham, Luton...) seem to have more pride of where they come from and have more of a "Were all Donny/Barnsley/Burnely/whoever", Us against the world attitude [that the south doesn't really have] and supporting their home town club is an important part of this. I could go on more about the north/south divide and the class structure of England but I don't want to bore you anymore than I have already.