• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

"Football gangs and far-right activists are heading to London to confront BLM demonstrators"

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Blackboy Road discussion is more relevant to ECFC than the OP of this thread though. And with there being no racist associations with the origin of the name it's not exactly a hot topic either, although it's difficult to imagine a road named that not being renamed in another more multicultural city. There is a Blackboy Hill in Bristol which is supposed to have connection to the slave trade, but historians say , like Blackboy Road in Exeter (see previous post), it was named after Charles II. It may indeed be a good time to think about renaming them though, but don't get me started on a discussion why or why not. I'll leave it there.

Oliver

The Blackboy Road discussion is more relevant to ECFC than the OP of this thread though. And with there being no racist associations with the origin of the name it's not exactly a hot topic either, although it's difficult to imagine a road named that not being renamed in another more multicultural city. There is a Blackboy Hill in Bristol which is supposed to have connection to the slave trade, but historians say , like Blackboy Road in Exeter (see previous post), it was named after Charles II. It may indeed be a good time to think about renaming them though, but don't get me started on a discussion why or why not. I'll leave it there.
There is also a Whieladies Road in Bristol...just to even things up like.

Dannyred

I am hearing the buller statue could be removed.

I have passed it hundreds of times but had no idea or interest who it was other than a man sat on a horse.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is also a Whieladies Road in Bristol...just to even things up like.
supposed to be named after a nunnery

Arthur Davey

I have passed it hundreds of times but had no idea or interest who it was other than a man sat on a horse.
I'm wondering where would students put traffic cones in its absence?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'm wondering where would students put traffic cones in its absence?
On the head of Tony Kellow?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster

Depending on who you believe he was either a gallant VC winning soldier or a fascist who hated the Zulus.

Nigel E

Depending on who you believe he was either a gallant VC winning soldier or a fascist who hated the Zulus.
Probably both.

Though I *think* the main objection to Buller is that he commanded the British forces in the second Boer War, when concentration camps were used for the first time. Though I have no idea whether he was directly responsible.

Despite doing History to A Level I never recall being taught anything much about the dark side of our colonial past, so I'm as sketchy as the next person on the facts. Which is part of the problem here I believe.

If Buller is taken down it would be rather good if a statue of his daughter was commissioned to replace him.

WXF

Sorry but what is this thread doing on WOWS? I come on to Exeweb to read about football, Exeter City in particular, and escape politics, which is strictly for Twitter, where opinions are available from people who know what they're talking about.
I posted this on WOWS because the source is credible and it relates to a group of Exeter football fans and so through association our club. If you dislike the politicisation then fair enough but, if so, why aren’t you complaining about Exonians who try to mix football and fascism, rather than it being brought to people’s attention on WOWS?

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well firstly because I don't trust the facts in the article. They have lumped in together fans from a lot of football clubs and I'm suspicious that they're just trying to create a story.

And that is the only reference to our club in the article.

I really don't like reading most of Exeweb contributors' views on racism, some of which are on this thread. You may want to fight them but I don't. I used to do that regularly on the Social Club (older posters will remember only too well) and after a while felt like I was wasting my time. I was also a vocal opponent of hooligan culture on here and got into a few heated arguments on that topic too. My energy is better spent elsewhere now, and thankfully Exeweb has become much more careful about what it allows as content.