• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Flybe sponsorship?

Terryhall

First things first, I did a search and didn't see a thread on this already - as WOWS is generally for "all things ECFC" I figured I'd post this here.

Not sure how many have seen this info already but could have an impact for ECFC - I don't know what the terms are of our sponsorship deal with Flybe (I think I saw it was recently renewed) but anyway thought some might be interested.

today's FT said:
Flybe says fleet restructuring to cost up to £80m

Flybe, whose chief executive Saad Hammad has been slashing jobs and cutting costs as he strives to turn the loss making airline around, has said it could cost up to £80m over four years to remove a set of large and expensive jets from its fleet. In a trading update, Flybe said that divesting the seven Embraer E195 jets that remain in its fleet would mean: "Maximum exposure is £80m over four years. Exit costs are being targeted significantly below this figure." This could well be good news, however, as maintaining the fleet has so far cost Flybe £26m a year. Otherwise, the airline is trading well, continuing a return to business growth that began earlier this year.

For its first quarter, Flybe said, its passenger numbers have increased 9.8 per cent on the same time last year to 2.1m. Under the leadership of Mr Hammad, a former Easyjet executive, Flybe has not only closed bases and shaken up its route network, but also rebranded with eye-catching purple jets. The airline is also beginning to convince investors that it can carve out a profitable niche flying European routes that are not serviced by larger carriers. In a research note after the trading update was issued, Liberum analyst Gerald Khoo wrote: "We remain positive on Flybe. We see clear potential for its earnings and cash flow to recover as it continues to make progress in its multi-year turnaround programme. The return to growth is being delivered, with improved unit costs and manageable unit revenue dilution."
Personally I don't pay much attention to what analysts have to say but I do wonder what it would mean for us if Flybe did at some point decide to trim their sponsorship budget? (Although that being said I suspect our annual sponsorship from Flybe is a drop in the ocean compared to the figures in the article)

Apologies for a somewhat pessimistic post when all else seems to be going so positively :)

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
An increase in passenger turnover is not bad news what could be bad news is how the increase is funded i.e. slashing prices without costs. It also makes sense to get rid of expensive cost items so I don't read the article as pessimistic, would be better if the old £.s. and d was mentioned but it sounds like Flybe are putting their house in order.

Like you said they have just renewed for this season, and in view of the change of name on the grandstand I would imagine have already reduced their 'investment' in us. Next year is another year - perhaps some new first team second team annd third team shirts?

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I flew flybe last week for the first time in a long while - they definitely have not been slashing prices. Very competitively priced but not super cheap.

They seem to have done away with going through certain airports like Leeds/Bradford in favour of a more "hub-like" approach out of Manchester. There seemed to be quite a few flybe planes on the stands there.

I think Loganair acquisition might have been a bit rough but they now have more assets in service than ever before and have signed a 6 year agreement with SAS. All these things sound good on paper. Had a rough couple of years but I think they will do ok over the next 5 years.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Will Flybe be sponsors for the next season? Any one know?

Langer

Now that's what I want to see Flybe working with the SAS that's entertainment :)

EGTE

Sheffield United are expected to announce Flybe as sponsors on June 7th. And yes, Flybe will be on board next season!
http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/sheffield-united-adidas-2346989.aspx

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Good news. I doubt this sort of thing is usually disclosed, but any ideas what being the main sponsor for a league two club costs?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Will this be the 12th or 13th season? Not a bad relationship to have with a local company.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good news. I doubt this sort of thing is usually disclosed, but any ideas what being the main sponsor for a league two club costs?

No idea but I seem to remember something About £100,000 in 2003 when they first signed up

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Will this be the 12th or 13th season? Not a bad relationship to have with a local company.
I believe the original deal was arranged by the lady employed by R and L ... Not popular I'm sure, but a reality....