Five Under-rated Albums

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
Five albums you love that were passed over by the critics/buying public.

I'll start:

Saint Etienne - Finisterre. Dance-tinged pop perfection.
Sleater-Kinney - The Woods. Face melting riot grrl riffs that just get better and better with each track.
Depeche Mode - Exciter. Their best album after the much-lauded Violater
Neko Case - Fox Confesser Brings The Flood. The first three tracks are possibly the greatest opening songs of any album.
Mazzy Star - Among My Swan. The pinnacle of dream pop.

Errm... GO!

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled his Feet
Mayfair Laundry - Scrub
Bob Dylan - Infidels
Unloved - Heartbreak
Paloma Faith - Do you want the truth or something beautiful

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
That sleater-kinny record is very under rated. Great band generally.
Teardrop explodes is a great shout as well although I actually think julian copes best band is (was?) braindonor.

I personally think the following records are massively overlooked. Maybe abraxas gets enough visibility but plenty of people just write off Santana based on his later work, however abraxas still stands up.

Abraxas - Santana
Sheikh Yerbouti - Zappa
Disco Sucks - The Swamp Rats
Form Destroyer - Skullflower
Torch of the mystics - Sun City Girls

Colesman Ballz

Well-known Exeweb poster
1. Eclection by Eclection (1968) British Folk/Prog rock, reminiscent of early Jefferson Airplane with male/female harmonies.
2. Weapon of Peace by Weapon of Peace (1981). Wolverhampton Reggae band, who were part of the movement producing the likes of UB40, Steel Pulse, Aswad, Talisman etc, although never quite attaining the same exposure. Their follow up album Rainbow Rhythm is decent too.
3. The Bean King by Curtis E Johnson (1997) reminds me a little of Rockpile/Elvis Costello with driving rhythms, but a haunting ballad in "This is not for you" closes the album.
(you could find this difficult to come by, as it was a self issued cd, and I believe just 1000 were pressed !)
4. K C Rules OK by King Creosote (2005). So difficult to describe this, just listen and enjoy. KC (real name Kenny Anderson) subsequently got nominated for a Mercury Prize.
5. Beyond The Leap, Beyond The Law by Martin Stephenson (1997) featuring The Prayerboat, The Devlins, The McCluskey Brothers, Gipsy Dave Smith, and Brendan O'Regan. Martin at his collaborative best, recorded at Connolly's of Leap Studio, West Cork, Eire.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
If the nails-down-a-blackboard screeching that I've heard from her on the radio is anything to go by, it's a nay from me.
I equate her voice to a cat being strangled.

Anyway, given my tastes tend to be a bit off-piste, most of the stuff I listen to isn't exactly "under-rated" in terms of critical reaction, rather just disappears under the radar generally.

Check out, for example, the album "A Black Mile to the Surface" by Manchester Orchestra. Utterly wonderful. The segue between the tracks "The Alien", "The Sunshine" and "The Grocery" is possibly my favourite section of any album ever.

les.gtfc

Carter USM - 30 Something (Quite simply the best album ever)

Scars - Author! Author! (1981 debut album by this Scottish post-punk band, a brilliant album but turned out to be their only one as they disappeared into obscurity soon after)

Neds Atomic Dustbin - God Fodder (Debut album from The Neds, which included the classics Kill Your Television, Grey Cell Green, Happy and Until You Find Out among others)

The Spizzles - Spikey Dream Flowers - (One of the many re-incarnations of Spizz Energi, a criminally underated album which included the seminal tune Risk)

Senseless Things - The First Of Too Many - (Again, a criminally under-rated album with so many great tunes on it)

Last edited:

iscalad

Looking at this thread reinforces my view that I should be nowhere near setting questions on the Music Quiz.

Why has no one mentioned Furzlin' by Shag Connors and the Carrot Crunchers???

IndoMike

Do these count? Wouldn't say these albums were obscure, but don't know if they were famous.

Trees : On the shore
Groundhogs : Split
Unhalfbricking : Fairport Convention
Hawkinr : Hawkwind

Colesman Ballz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking at this thread reinforces my view that I should be nowhere near setting questions on the Music Quiz.

Why has no one mentioned Furzlin' by Shag Connors and the Carrot Crunchers???
Shirley you should include summat by CHICKEN Shack, and DUCKS Deluxe !