• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Five to ten L1 & L2 clubs under threat

dontpassback

It's more than likely that the 5-10 clubs will increase.What are the chances that Exeter City Football Club will become one of them?
I think for the first time in years,ECFC are in a better position than a lot of other sides like Northampton,Macclesfield etc,and I think it’s because we were so near to going bust after the R +L era that it concentrated our minds to be prudent.i know we had money issues just before we sold matt grimes so we are not infallible,but I think we haven’t ploughed money that we haven’t got into s##t or bust promotion !UTC

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
As long as we don’t have to splash cash for the playoffs hopefully we can keep going. Sounds like Northampton and Co will also struggle if this is the case . Perhaps the EFL have agreed to help out.....

Rosencrantz

I think we will only have serious problems when we have to play behind closed doors along with the majority of the lower leagues. That is when everyone will need financial support to cover missing match day income above what live streaming will generate.

DB9

We cant be complacent in this, We are losing money at the moment like any other club, Its the uncertianty of what the future holds could be our downfall and if any monies come in via the EFL as a sort of emergency grant. Even Nick Hawker said we're losing money at the moment:

""At the moment the Club is losing money as it has no income from the playing of matches and is being, to a degree, financially supported by the government. This support comes in the nature of contributions to furloughing and the deferment of monies due to such things as HMRC. We just do not know how long this situation will continue for or if the resulting losses will be permanent or recoverable"

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know its money we can't guarantee, but over the next 12 to 18 months we are highly likely to receive a significant sum, and a club record sum, for Ollie Watkins. This will help us massively.

My feeling is that in the short and medium term Coronavirus will actually benefit ECFC from a playing perspective as we will not struggle as much as other clubs and can take advantage of this and thus improve our league status.

DB9

I know its money we can't guarantee, but over the next 12 to 18 months we are highly likely to receive a significant sum, and a club record sum, for Ollie Watkins. This will help us massively.

My feeling is that in the short and medium term Coronavirus will actually benefit ECFC from a playing perspective as we will not struggle as much as other clubs and can take advantage of this and thus improve our league status.
I hope your feeling is right Snoop, Things seem to change almost daily and the future is very unclear at the moment. As for Ollie, I would have agreed with you back in Dec/Jan but now who knows, This could kick the backside out of big transfers?

Rosencrantz

That maybe but we have to make sure we are still there to benefit and more widely there is still a viable league to compete in when supporters are allowed back into the grounds. In the short term, Coronavirus is favouring no clubs at all.

Oldsmobile-88

That maybe but we have to make sure we are still there to benefit and more widely there is still a viable league to compete in when supporters are allowed back into the grounds. In the short term, Coronavirus is favouring no clubs at all.
Yep...Let’s hope crowds are allowed into grounds as soon as the new season starts,whenever that may be.

Playing behind closed doors even for a short period is not a option for L1 & L2 clubs.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep...Let’s hope crowds are allowed into grounds as soon as the new season starts,whenever that may be.

Playing behind closed doors even for a short period is not a option for L1 & L2 clubs.
Agree. Perhaps the temperature checks prior to entering the ground is a way forward. We can't wait for a vaccine as there may never be one. At some point we have to bite the bullet and go back to having crowds but putting facilities in place to minimise the risk of contamination as much as is possible. Temp checks, hand sanitisers etc.

Grecian Max

Agree. Perhaps the temperature checks prior to entering the ground is a way forward. We can't wait for a vaccine as there may never be one. At some point we have to bite the bullet and go back to having crowds but putting facilities in place to minimise the risk of contamination as much as is possible. Temp checks, hand sanitisers etc.
I don't think, from what I have read, that temperature checks are particuarly useful.

Going onto the BB, in that’s crammed space, nothing is going to stop someone coughing on your head. Ultimately, depending on where the government go with this, it may be down to your own risk assessment in the end.