• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Finishing the season.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a given that no one has a clue what is going to happen but the point of the thread was to use our collective minds in an effort to find possible solutions to the problem of finishing this season.

What if the season commences where it left off and reaches it's natural conclusions whenever that becomes possible. Ignore the concept that football is a winter sport for the time being and finish the season. Then have a break long enough for the logistics of a new season to be worked out - fixtures, contracts and all the other behind the scenes activities that are required pre season. Play the new season but try to condense it, do the same for the following seasons until we eventually arrive back at the original August to May format. The next few seasons would be out of kilter with the normal calendar but does that matter ?

Matt Russell

The end of June is a decisive moment, as that is when players contracts are up. Nobody, certainly not the EFL, can interfere with the individual contracts between Clubs and players unless by agreement with all concerned. The big push will be to meet this deadline, somehow.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The end of June is a decisive moment, as that is when players contracts are up. Nobody, certainly not the EFL, can interfere with the individual contracts between Clubs and players unless by agreement with all concerned. The big push will be to meet this deadline, somehow.
Also the PFA will have a say as well. I think something will be arranged as there seems to be a will between clubs, players and authorities to do so. I don't think they will want the optics of releasing players out of contract without any realistic chance of re-employment and before the season is completed. If any individual player wants to be released that will be a different story and will also depend what happens with the transfer window.

Oldsmobile-88

The PM mentioned yesterday that social isolation ‘could last up to a year’ with the obvious implications for sport.

Highly optimistic that anything will be sorted by the end of June.

IndoMike

this season will not be finished ever, we are likely to be looking at the longest gap in Football since WW2, with probably a significant restructing of the league required following a number of clubs collapsing .
You're feeling cheerful this morning.
If China with its population of 1.2bn can get it under control (and I assume they're not telling porkies this time) then surely we can.
Yes, there might be a few waves coming in later but little by little it will be similar to flu with casualties but with vaccine and more or less under control. And the folks will build up some immunity

Alistair20000

You're feeling cheerful this morning.
If China with its population of 1.2bn can get it under control (and I assume they're not telling porkies this time) then surely we can.
Yes, there might be a few waves coming in later but little by little it will be similar to flu with casualties but with vaccine and more or less under control. And the folks will build up some immunity
Dangerous to assume the Chinese are telling the whole truth Indo.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
As compared to Donald Trump, whose definition of the truth is "will it profit me"?

IndoMike

I think surely they have learned some lessons recently. I don't think they need to pretend everything is better now, but I guess I wouldn't bet my house on it

IndoMike

As compared to Donald Trump, whose definition of the truth is "will it profit me"?
If it's not in his interest I don't think he cares. He doesn't have a gram of sympathy or empathy in his body.

Alistair20000

Yes him too.