• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Finishing the season.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can see e-sports getting a boost over the coming few months.
They had a couple of Esport F1 events on Sunday to replace the Australian GP that were very popular. A mix of real life drivers including Max Verstappen, Lando Norris, Stoffel Vandoorne, Estaban Guttierez going up against some of the best Esport drivers like Brendon Leigh and Daniel Bereznay. You also had well known F1 gamers and even Thibaut Courtois who was pretty good.

As they were successful I think they are planning on repeating them for every postponed GP.

WXF

It's called a labour market, my friend. Footballers are not 'over-paid' - they earn what their employers have budgeted to pay them.
You can be a market fundamentalist, but you should recognise many others don't think markets always reward people for the value they create - e.g. nurses and care workers are underpaid, and premiership footballers overpaid. If you think a worker's value is expressed by how much they are paid then tell all the nurses this the next time you receive treatment in hospital.

Interfering with a market like that, for example by introducing a wage cap, always has disastrous unintended consequences. Wage caps never work, ever, anywhere. They sound nice in theory to poor people, but it is poor people who always suffer the most when the super rich take their labour abroad, which is exactly what would happen if we introduced a wage cap.
Wage caps are indeed crude measures, but we can tax domestic activities without triggering capital flight. Introducing land value taxation would be especially good in this regard. Otherwise left to its own devices wealth trickles up, not down. Wealth, opportunity and power are interrelated. Without redistribution our democracy, opportunity and ultimately the efficiency of markets will be undermined.

LOG

I'm already going off my nut homeworking and having nothing to plan for or look forward to
This isn't aimed at you but i've worked from home for several years and still get hilarious comments like "I bet you spend all day watching Homes Under the Hammer" and so on. This is usually said tongue in cheek but there is still the perception that it must mean i do eff all.

I can honestly say that the only time i've watched any TV during the day was the last World Cup and even then it would only be on in the background.

Whilst homeworking does have some perks, it can be bloody boring and very socially isolating.

grecIAN Harris

They had a couple of Esport F1 events on Sunday to replace the Australian GP that were very popular. A mix of real life drivers including Max Verstappen, Lando Norris, Stoffel Vandoorne, Estaban Guttierez going up against some of the best Esport drivers like Brendon Leigh and Daniel Bereznay. You also had well known F1 gamers and even Thibaut Courtois who was pretty good.

As they were successful I think they are planning on repeating them for every postponed GP.
I don't mind admitting I'm a sad old fart like the rest of us and enjoy playing the odd game of FIFA or ten or tearing around a Grand Prix game thinking I'm Lewis Hamilton but the idea of sitting watching people playing on TV is just about as sad as it gets.

Rosencrantz

I don't mind admitting I'm a sad old fart like the rest of us and enjoy playing the odd game of FIFA or ten or tearing around a Grand Prix game thinking I'm Lewis Hamilton but the idea of sitting watching people playing on TV is just about as sad as it gets.
But there are plenty of sports that you don't mind or actually like playing but don't particularly like watching. It's the same thing, this isn't particularly for you but it is for other people. It might be my memory, but didn't you like watching The GamesMaster?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

Championship clubs all want to finish the season (presumably by 30th June).

Also:

"...the 47 clubs in Leagues One and Two have told the EFL they face an estimated combined loss of £50m if the campaign cannot restart before the summer.

They have been asking what assistance they may receive and the EFL has been collecting data and talking to clubs through board representatives in recent days.

Peterborough United owner Darragh MacAnthony has said in a statement that voiding the current season would be "catastrophic".

The matter is also expected to be discussed by the board on Wednesday."

grecIAN Harris

But there are plenty of sports that you don't mind or actually like playing but don't particularly like watching. It's the same thing, this isn't particularly for you but it is for other people. It might be my memory, but didn't you like watching The GamesMaster?
Games Master was more a news programme about computer games.

Rosencrantz

Games Master was more a news programme about computer games.
It had a news and reviews section but the bulk of it was the games challenges. What ever happened to Dominik Diamond anyway?

Oldsmobile-88

The offices at SJP shut for another week(until 30th March)

I assume the club shop will also be shut if that’s the case..Any idea Spoonz ?

Spoonz Red E

The offices at SJP shut for another week(until 30th March)

I assume the club shop will also be shut if that’s the case..Any idea Spoonz ?
I'm afraid so.
We're still monitoring and answering all emails to
[email protected]
or
[email protected]
but phone calls aren't being picked up.

I've been working at home this week.
Next week I had already booked as leave so ..... that's nice.:oops: