• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FIFA saying NO to poppy's

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Just more Daily Mail outrage nonsense.

As mentioned on the radio, how about Ireland wearing green poppies for the IRA combatants that died, Israel wearing something to celebrate their creation etc etc where does it end?
Pretty much. They still capitulated though.

A typically stupid, insensitive decision, from a bloated organisation full of self-importance.

Laughable to say it is a political act.

finetime

Just more Daily Mail outrage nonsense.

As mentioned on the radio, how about Ireland wearing green poppies for the IRA combatants that died, Israel wearing something to celebrate their creation etc etc where does it end?
Agree 100%

mfcrocker

Laughable to say it is a political act.
No it isn't - what you've done is confused politically motivated acts and political acts. A political act is an act that has political effects, and this falls under that heading.

It is but with justification imho.

FIFA and the Executive Commitee that run it are not completely independent from political interference or influence and therefore it does not practice what it preaches.
No, dismissing an argument due to hypocrisy is a fallacy. FIFA are hypocritical tw*ts, but on this issue they are correct hypocritical tw*ts.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
A fella on the wireless said that it was simply because under FIFA rules, international kits cannot be changed in any way between official launches. They should've just gone with that.

No it isn't - what you've done is confused politically motivated acts and political acts. A political act is an act that has political effects, and this falls under that heading.

No, dismissing an argument due to hypocrisy is a fallacy. FIFA are hypocritical tw*ts, but on this issue they are correct hypocritical tw*ts.
And what political effects are going to result from footballers wearing poppies on their shirts that commemorate people who died in battle ?

mfcrocker

And what political effects are going to result from footballers wearing poppies on their shirts that commemorate people who died in battle ?
It may shock you to find this out but there are other countries out there with other points of view on good and evil, and in this specific case whether or not our war dead should be celebrated or even whether they should be vilified.

We may disagree with them (in fact I'm pretty certain we do) but by provoking said people there is a political effect.

And let's be honest, a symbol is a symbol is a symbol. It is not FIFA's place to decide whether the ideologies behind certain symbols are right or wrong - they are (supposed to be) an apolitical organisation. Ergo, symbols are banned.

It's pretty simple, you know?

Red the Paper

Banned
It may shock you to find this out but there are other countries out there with other points of view on good and evil, and in this specific case whether or not our war dead should be celebrated or even whether they should be vilified.

We may disagree with them (in fact I'm pretty certain we do) but by provoking said people there is a political effect.

And let's be honest, a symbol is a symbol is a symbol. It is not FIFA's place to decide whether the ideologies behind certain symbols are right or wrong - they are (supposed to be) an apolitical organisation. Ergo, symbols are banned.

It's pretty simple, you know?
I agree with you on this one. A minutes silence was all we used to do now it seems fashionable to wear a poppy on a football shirt and the bigger and more glitzy the better.

Newreaders with poppys, weather girls with poppys, reality show contestants with poppys, footballers with poppys. All getting a bit crass for my liking.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought it was everyone's war dead, not just ours? I think originally it was just those who fell in WW1, but it's been expanded now hasn't it?

mfcrocker

I thought it was everyone's war dead, not just ours? I think originally it was just those who fell in WW1, but it's been expanded now hasn't it?
We may respect everyone's war dead, but that doesn't mean everyone does.