• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Favourite Exeter pubs - past or present

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Seems that The Hourglass is to become a pub of the past.
Remember getting barred from there when I was around 14-15 before going to Georges Hall for a gig.

Dad and Mum ran it for a while and me and my brother were changing the records on the jukebox that was downstairs in the cellar changing things like Frank Ifield I remember you for Bat out of Hell etc was quite funny seeing the old boys and girls waiting for their favourite songs to come on.

Good times in there.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep, it’s Spud! He’s my godfather and is a top, top man 👍
I remember Spud had a arcade video game in the pub, Phoenix. If you played that it was usually my high score at the top of the screen 😎 I was crap at darts, mediocre at Pool, finding my best pub sport was that particular arcade game.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have to admit, I've never actually been in, but it used to look pretty grim from the outside:

Colesman Ballz

Have to admit, I've never actually been in, but it used to look pretty grim from the outside:
Do you have a vested interest given that the owners are WestCountry EGG ? :cool:

Colesman Ballz

Apparently the Diggers Rest at Woodbury Salterton has closed in the past few weeks, with the tenants giving up the struggle to make ends meet. The pub owners are looking for a new tenant to reopen it, however.

Oldsmobile-88

St Anne’s Well is open 😁
The previous Landlady left on Thursday. Popped in earlier. Temp manager this week. A new Landlord(or manager) takes over at the end of the week.
The pub has been doing so well in the past 18 months since reopening after all of the lockdowns, it seemed insane to shut it again. The brewery must have looked at the amount of ale shifted in the past year.

fred binneys head

Shame the previous landlady had to leave though? You thought she’d done well, didn’t you?

Oldsmobile-88

Shame the previous landlady had to leave though? You thought she’d done well, didn’t you?
It was... The rent increase was £20k per annum, she said the Brewery were reluctant to negotiate.
It was the best the pub has been run, a real shame she had to leave. Never a hint of trouble in there at any time.
It’s previous incarnation The Brook Green Tavern(pre 2016) became a awful pub that was eventually shut down by the police & licensing authority.

fred binneys head

Strange that the brewery have now softened with someone else, or is the new person just happier to take the risk more than the lady who’s left?

Oldsmobile-88

Strange that the brewery have now softened with someone else, or is the new person just happier to take the risk more than the lady who’s left?
What the brewery will do is give favourable terms over a fixed term for a new tenant. Most are 18 months to 3 years initially. A hike in the rent is expected at the end of the term, but too many breweries kill the duck that laid the golden egg with rises that mean there will be next to no profit from running the pub.
I heard that the Duke of York was in a similar situation, there the brewery concerned listened to what the tenant had to offer as a rent rise & they reached a compromise.. Shannon( landlady of St Anne’s) was told the brewery were not too concerned if the pub shut for good because it’s on prime real estate for a block of flats.