• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fans back in October

Legohead

Banned
Just another random date plucked out of thin air by Mr Johnson really but it's something I suppose so there is that.

Hants makes a good point. Some friendlies against local non league minnows would be good as trial runs.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed. No point in starting before crowds back and even then it will depend on what rules apply. Season 2020/21 quite likely to be a mess unless a vaccine/treatments are found.
I fear we're all doing a lot of wishful thinking. Good to be positive but the reality is that this virus is extremely complex and I don't think it's going to up sticks while the vast majority of the folks presumably don't have immunity.
I'm concerned about footie next season and of course about the risks to the folks in general.
As you say, as a minimum we can expect interruptions, games postponed at the last minute et al.

Red Devon

I fear we're all doing a lot of wishful thinking. Good to be positive but the reality is that this virus is extremely complex and I don't think it's going to up sticks while the vast majority of the folks presumably don't have immunity.
I'm concerned about footie next season and of course about the risks to the folks in general.
As you say, as a minimum we can expect interruptions, games postponed at the last minute et al.
Local Lockdown’s I think they call it like in Leicester and Blackburn.

IndoMike

Local Lockdown’s I think they call it like in Leicester and Blackburn.
Hope no lockdowns at all, but it depends on how the virus behaves

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Commentary from the FSA

Scrap the mickey mouse cups, maybe even the League CUP for a season (or play them as pre season behind closed doors) No replays in the FA Cup and play more mid week league matches.
If the season is due to start in Sept, but spectators allowed back in October, why don't they stage the FLT during this period to fill this gap. I mean the crowd will only be about 350 lower if they keep the turnstiles closed

Spoonz Red E

If the season is due to start in Sept, but spectators allowed back in October, why don't they stage the FLT during this period to fill this gap. I mean the crowd will only be about 350 lower if they keep the turnstiles closed
It would be a good way to ease first teamers back into match fitness too.

Colesman Ballz

I think we are "between the devil and the deep blue sea here ". I Get your logic Gary but just how fast and far will be restrictions on crowd limits be eased. The later the start to the league programme, the more fixtures that will switched to midweek, with the resultant far smaller crowds and lower match day revenue, with competition against televised Chamions League games, youngsters unable to go on school nights etc. The only benefit which isn't a financial one, being the atmosphere of "playing under the lights". This is all down to a poxy deadline of the 2020 Euros. What effing relevance is that to EFL League 2 clubs ? In the light current crisis why must all three divisions conclude their fixtures at the same time ? Surely their can be flexibility and each division treated on it's own merits ?

The likelihood of Lge 1 and 2 clubs having players involved is minimal, yet they are the very Clubs who will suffer most in having the higher percentage of their income dependent on matchday income ! There may well be a few Champioship clubs with players involved, so treat them separately, at least they benefit to a far greater degree from the largese of television money trickling down. The EFL is seeming totally incapable of any lateral thinking, and hence tha ability to serve it's member clubs by thinking outside of the box. Grrrrr !

Oldsmobile-88

MT on the potential new season start on 12th September.
I’m surprised clubs are not pushing for the October start when fans are allowed back in.Surely a few more midweek games is preferable to games without fans.
Fans at all clubs have given up refunds for tickets &
done many other acts of generosity to help clubs out during this unprecedented crisis.Therefore clubs should insist to the EFL that the season can only start with supporters present.If that is October then so be it.
It appears that supporters can help out clubs financially for no return,whilst clubs are starting the new season with not much of a squeak about fans not being present..All bizarre to me.

Football without fans watching is nothing.

Spoonz Red E

He's not too impressed with the EFL
" ...the EFL – like with all aspects of everything they have done in recent months – are taking longer than is needed."